This is backcountry MTB racing at its finest with a shorter course and still all the amenities of a long distance endurance race. The Annual Jerdon Mountain Challenge
will run on some of the same trails as the ever popular Off Road Assault on Mt Mitchell in Old Fort, North Carolina. Racers will tackle 3,600′ of climbing over 26 miles as you hit some great trails like Kitsuma, Star Gap
and Jarrett Creek.
Follow signs for parking in a large lot available on Commerce St.
From the town of Old Fort, there is a police lead mass start out US Hwy 70 to Jarrett Creek Rd.
• From Water St, take a RIGHT on Catawba Avenue.
• Follow it over the railroad tracks to a stoplight.
• Make a RIGHT onto US Hwy 70. Travel for approx. miles.
• Make a LEFT on Curtis Creek Rd. Follow it up for approx. 1.5 miles.
• Turn LEFT on Jarrett Creek Rd (FS 4030). Follow it down through a recreation area near the creek, past a gate and up an old doubletrack road.
• Continue up Jarrett Creek to take a RIGHT on Star Gap
• Follow this to make a LEFT on Heartbreak (Trail 208) heading downhill.
• Turn LEFT on Graphite Rd (SR 1408).
• REST STOP 1 – Graphite Rd (SR 1408) at Brookside Baptist Church
• Continue on Graphite Rd to take a RIGHT on Mill Creek Rd.
• REST STOP 2 – Mill Creek Rd near Ridgecrest Porperty.
• Take a LEFT on Royal Gorge Rd (frontage road) just before reaching the overpass of Hwy 40.
• Follow this road through the parking lot and onto Kitsuma (Trail 205)
• Kitsuma will turn into Youngs Ridge (Trail 206). Follow it down to the Old Fort Picnic Area.
• Turn RIGHT out of the parking lot onto Mill Creek Rd (SR 1407). Follow it for 2 miles.
• Turn RIGHT on Orchard St.
• Turn LEFT on Commerce St.
• Turn LEFT onto town singletrack.
• Cross Catawba Ave onto S. Railroad St.
• Turn RIGHT onto Mauney Ave and follow it to the finish.