Hella Climbing aka Gotta Love Rocks
ElevationAscent: 3,930' 1,198 m
Descent: -3,928' -1,197 m
High: 5,120' 1,561 m
Low: 1,606' 490 m
GradeAvg Grade: 6% (3°)
Max Grade: 44% (24°)
Popular rides nearby
Off-Road Assault On Mt. Mitchell
62.0 mi 99.8 km • Point to Point • 8,772 ft Ascent 2673.63 m Ascent
Jerdon Mountain Challenge
26.8 mi 43.1 km • Loop • 3,370 ft Ascent 1027.08 m Ascent
Jerdon Mountain Challege Course
27.2 mi 43.8 km • Point to Point • 3,610 ft Ascent 1100.19 m Ascent
Bear Pen to Walker Creek Descent
7.0 mi 11.3 km • Point to Point • 494 ft Ascent 150.47 m Ascent
Lake James State Park
13.1 mi 21.1 km • Loop • 607 ft Ascent 184.99 m Ascent
Bent Creek Epicito
20.6 mi 33.2 km • Loop • 2,602 ft Ascent 793.01 m Ascent
“A great endurance ride with lots of climbing. An alternate climb to the top of Heartbreak Ridge.”— Marcus Barton
Electric Mountain Bikes Allowed
You'll summit at the top of the famed Heartbreak Ridge which begins as a technical, steep downhill. You'll be grinning from ear to ear all the way down Heartbreak Ridge and then Star Gap. You'll finish your ride with an easy, cool-down paved ride of Mill Creek road back to your start.
Need to Know
1. Exit the park via the park entrance to the road and take a left.
2. Proceed up Old US 70.
3. You'll encounter a gate that is designed to keep cars off of this paved road, so continue around gate.
4. Continue the climb for approximately 3.3 miles. You'll encounter another gate near the top where it joins Mills Creek road. -Continue straight all the way to the interstate (another mile).
5. Just before the interstate, take a right and descend down the paved road to the Ridgecrest convention center. THIS PORTION OF THE RIDE CROSSES PRIVATE PROPERTY. Check in with the guard at the gate, tell them you are going up to Rattlesnake summit and that you typically have to sign a waiver. Be super polite! AT TIMES YOU MAY BE DENIED ACCESS TO THIS PORTION OF THE ROUTE, so plan accordingly.
6. At the gate, turn around and proceed up the steep, steep paved road (W Ridge Drive).
7. After topping the hill and descending, take a left at the T intersection (approx. .5 miles) and proceed to climb, following the signs to Rattlesnake TrailHead.
8. Once going past the tennis courts, proceed to the right, ignoring the sign saying "trails" and instead follow the sign for "Ballfield"
9. Proceed along the left edge of the ballfields until you get to the very back and find a sign pointing you left saying "Rattlesnake" This is a little more rideable than the previous entrance.
10. This is where some of the toughest climbing begins.
11. Continue climbing, following signs to the Rattlesnake Summit. Do not turn off of the trail. Signage is pretty decent up to the summit.
12. At the top, you'll come to a campground with a sign pointing left for rattlesnake and a sign pointing you back to the convention center the way you came. The ride continues to the RIGHT, but if you'd like, take a break and climb up the short climb to the summit and enjoy the view.
13. Continuing on the ride, you'll come to an intersection pointing right to the Royal Gorge Lookout and left to Montreat. Proceed right.
14. At mile 8, you'll encounter the Rodododendron trail on your right. Do NOT take the Rodododendron trail, instead, proceed LEFT for the ride.
15. Mile 8.25 - at the fork, keep LEFT
16. Mile 9.1 - you'll encounter the trailer hitch gate, go around the gate. Shortly after the gate, you'll come to the toll road, keep going to the RIGHT.
17. Mile 10.1 - You'll encounter another fork, keep RIGHT
18. Mile 11.2 - keep straight on the toll road. Do NOT take the downhill option to the far left.
19. Mile 12.3 - you'll come upon a sharp left bend in the road. Look carefully as straight ahead is the Royal Gorge lookout. Pause here and enjoy the view down the short access trail.
20. Mile 13 - at the fork, keep RIGHT
21. Mile 14.5 - at the fork, keep LEFT
22. Mile 15.8 - you'll come upon the camper trailer and van. This is where you'll descend down Heartbreak, RIGHT just before the camper. BE CAREFUL, the first .25 mile is pretty sketchy
23. Mile 16.7 at intersection, keep RIGHT
24. Mile 21.4 Keep RIGHT and it is suggested to walk the rocky section.
25. Shortly after the rocky section, keep LEFT and cross the creek.
26. Shortly after creek crossing, you'll cross the railroad tracks.
27. Keep to the LEFT on the gravel road until you hit pavement.
28. At paved road, take a LEFT. Stay on paved road, keeping LEFT, for 2.8 miles which will dead end into old US 70 near the Park where you should have parked. This adds a nice cooldown to the ride.
For those looking to add additional mileage, consider adding a loop on the Kitsuma Trail at the beginning of the ride. The Kitsuma Trail will rocks your socks like always with great speeds, semi-smooth trail, and some silly off-camber section. Once you loop back to the start, hang a left back up Old US 70 and head out on the rest of this ride.
History & Background
Land Manager: USFS - Pisgah National Forest, Pisgah Ranger District