MTB Project Logo

blue Dry Pond Loop

  4.1 ( 21 ) Favorite

Trail

6.5 mile 10.5 kilometer loop
90% Singletrack
Intermediate

Elevation

Ascent: 1,000' 305 m
Descent: -1,009' -308 m
High: 6,959' 2,121 m
Low: 5,950' 1,814 m

Grade

Avg Grade: 6% (3°)
Max Grade: 23% (13°)

Dogs

Leashed
Driving directions Take a virtual tour
Zoom in to see details
Map Key

Trail shared by Scott Hall

A nice, up-to-down loop to get out of the heat.

Scott Hall

E-Bikes Unknown

Features -none-

Overview

A very nice, mostly singletrack loop that takes riders on the best of the Upper Thomas Creek Trail and the Upper Whites Creek Trail. The loop starts with a good climb and there are a few potential hike-a-bike spots. Once you've reached the top, the ride is an enjoyable downhill for several miles. This is a great option to get out of the heat.

This ride is steep in a few sections, but intermediate cyclists should not be discouraged. The trails are 90% singletrack and have something for everyone. The remaining 10% is a paved road that returns to the trailhead.

Need to Know

This ride is popular with hikers, trail runners, and equestrian riders so be on the lookout and yield appropriately.

Description

This ride can be ridden clockwise or counter-clockwise as mapped. From the Thomas Creek Trail, find the start of the trail from the parking area. Follow along Thomas Creek on a steady climb till the start of the Dry Pond Trail trail at 1.3 miles, turn left and continue climbing until the top is reached.

Enjoy a flat section that passes Dry Pond nestled on top of the ridge. If you visit early enough in the year, the shallow depression might contain some moisture. On the other side, it's time for the downhill. The descent is slightly less steep and has fewer switchbacks, but it's still worth being careful on the tight turns.

At the bottom of the Dry Pond Trail, cross over Whites Creek and briefly turn left onto the forest road and then look for the start of the Upper Whites Creek Trail on the left.

This is a straightforward descent on a casual trail. Make sure to yield to others on this popular trail. Where the trail comes to a dirt road, look for it to continue on the other side. At about 5.4 miles, the pavement is reached. Turn right to continue downhill toward the stop sign. Make a left and pedal on the road back to the trailhead.

Contacts

Rate This Featured Ride

Rate Quality


   Clear Rating

Rate Difficulty

Share This Ride

Check In

Check-Ins

Jun 9, 2019
Dan Johnson
Jun 4, 2019
Kevin S
Good singletracks, mostly under the trees. Popular trail even on a weekday. 6.5mi — 2h 00m
May 14, 2019
Scott Grindle
Great flow going clockwise. Be back soon. 6.5mi
May 3, 2019
Alexander Jonathan
caught the pond when it was not dry. beautiful awesome spot. totally worth the climbing 6.5mi
Sep 19, 2018
Jim Hanson
Trail was in great shape. Rode the opposite direction per LBS recommendation.
Sep 13, 2018
Callie S
Beautiful trail, ride out to my rose wilderness and then back down which had some fun flow features
Aug 23, 2018
Nick LeDuc
Jul 19, 2018
Nicholas M

Trail Ratings

  4.1 from 21 votes

#695

Overall
  4.1 from 21 votes
5 Star
33%
4 Star
48%
3 Star
19%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%
Rankings

#14

in Nevada

#695

Overall
251 Views Last Month
4,258 Since Jun 21, 2015
Intermediate Intermediate

0%
5%
80%
10%
5%
0%

MTB Project is part of the REI Co-op family,
where a life outdoors is a life well lived.

Shop REI Mountain Bike

MTB Project is supported by

Support Your Local IMBA Chapter