There is a track in Coaticook, but it is long, difficult, and challenging even for experienced cyclists. In fact, only the most physically fit can have fun until the end without suffering too much. There are several shortcuts that allow riders to shorten this loop as they see fit.
This, we believe, is one of the best singletrack trails in Quebec, a must do!
The track is located in the eastern townships and the trailhead is in the camping area of Parc de la Gorge de Coaticook. The fact that you can access this trail directly from the campsite makes it even more interesting.
1 - Le Dpart - Easy - From the parking lot follow the signs to the trails. You'll be on a dirt path through the campsite.
2 - Le Tunnel des Amoureux - Easy - This section is classified as beginner, but some would say intermediate. However, there is another way for beginners. Instead of taking the path on the right as shown, continue a little further and take a left #3 Le Saut de Bois.
3 - Le Saut de Bois - Easy - Begins with an S-bend and a small climb with a lot of roots, after that, it's quite easy.
4 - F = MA
- Hard - A difficult, technical climb with lots of roots and rocks. There is the option of skipping this section at the end of the 3rd section, just continue to #6.
5 - La Marmotte
- Intermediate - There are many little bridges and small climbs in the middle. This section will also be skipped if you avoid F = MA
6 - LIntersection - Easy - This trail is the continuance of #3 and it is a rather long intersection between F = MA
, La Marmotte
, Les Archers, La Maudite
, La Nico, La Diagonale and Les Septs Sauts.
7 - Les Archers - Intermediate - This trail is mainly descending with two short climbs that might surprise you if you do not carry a little momentum. A very fun section, but the next one will make you pay for that pleasure.
8 - La Maudite
- Intermediate - This trail is well named, "The Damned." While not technically difficult, this is a dirt road that climbs quite steeply.
8A - La Nico - Easy - This one is a real trail for beginners but fun for everyone. It begins with a switchbacking climb that's not too hard, then descends through switchbacks again.
9 - La Diagonale - Easy - La Diagonale will bring you to Les Septs Sauts and the way to access La Technique
and Le Ruisseau
10 - La Technique
- Hard - Another well-named trail, "The Technique", has rocks and roots with muddy sections. There is not too much elevation gain, but this section takes good technique.
11 - Le Ruisseau
- Hard - Crosses the creek twice which takes balance and momentum, a small cool challenge.
12 - Les Septs Sauts - Easy - Do not look for the jumps, we will work to add jumps in the summer of 2015.
12A - Lalternative - Intermediate - During the descent of Les Septs Sauts, this trail is an alternative, that begins with a difficult climb that has a lot of roots.
13 - La Bamby
- Intermediate - This section is a gentle climb with roots.
14 - Les Trois Sources
- Hard - A technical path with mud and roots.
15 - Llvateur - Hard - Hard climb to come back to La-la-la Bamba.
16 - La-la-la Bamba - Intermediate - Try to sing "LALALA Bamba" during this descent, the end is so bumpy that your voice will automatically do the "LALALA" and it finishes with a 12' bridge.
17 - Stairway to Heaven - Hard - Suffer on this climb to heaven.
18 - La Descente du Kilomtre - Hard - Downhill with switchbacks, jumps, and small table tops.
19 - Le Point de Vue - Easy - A small segment with a nice viewpoint.
20 - Les Alpes - Easy - A transition trail with a part on gravel road.
21 - La Piste de Chevreuil - Easy - Some possible sections where beginners may hike-a-bike.
22 - Lpineuse - Intermediate - Climb on a bed of pine needles with a nice descent.
23 - LExpress - Easy - A quick downhill trail
to the next section, keep your momentum up to climb it.
24 - La Kamikaze
- Hard - Hard climb. Hopefully, you kept that momentum from L'Express...
25 - La Monte des Cadets - Hard - A hard climb across roots.
26 - La Descente vers Lenfer - Hard - A steep descent.
27 - Le Filet Mignon - Intermediate - Tight switchbacks, but as good as a filet mignon.
28 - La Grand Sortie - Intermediate - Short trail with two steep descents.