MTB Project Logo

Herher is an artificial reservoir in Vayots Dzor, intended to supply water for irrigation of fields and pastures.


Your Rating: Rating Rating Rating Rating Rating      Clear Rating
Your Difficulty:
Your Favorites: Add To-Do · Your List
Zoom in to see details
Map Key

21.5

Miles

34.6

KM

Doubletrack

7,314' 2,229 m

High

4,323' 1,318 m

Low

2,058' 627 m

Up

3,294' 1,004 m

Down

5%

Avg Grade (3°)

33%

Max Grade (18°)

Dogs Unknown

E-Bikes Unknown

Family Friendly The trail promises beautiful views.

Ucom and Viva Cell-MTS networks are always available in the territories between the village of Hermon to Herher, and the Herher Reservoir. In case of an emergency, call 911, a service available throughout Armenia. Beware of dogs guarding flocks of sheep.

Description

This biking route passes through Hermon and Herher villages, in Vayots Dzor province. It is located 32 km east of Vayk, on the right bank of the Arpa River.

The trail leads from Hermon village by a gravel road right up to the top of a hill, at a height of 2,240 m. From this elevation, you may view the uncountable mountains of this province and feel the warmth of the sun. Vayots Dzor is a region of valleys and gorges, streams and rivers, high mountains and mysterious caves.

Leaving Goghtanik village on the left, you'll descend via a zigzag gravel road to the valley of the Herher River. Rideing along the Herher River, you'll cross the Karmrashen and Herher villages, and later, the Herher Reservoir. Rideing for another 1-2km, you'll reach the end of the trail.

The start of this route is most often reached by taking a taxi to the village of Hermon (we recommend taking a cab with a taximeter). From the end of the route, riders can get a taxi or ride along the highway to Yerevan.

Flora
The flora of Vayots Dzor province is lush and diverse, with sunny mountain slopes and variegated flowers and shrubs that will accompany you till the end of the trail. Winter is severe in this province, and summer is very hot. Reed and bulrush are widespread in this province, particularly in Yeghegnazor. Two species of juniper and several species of wild pear, typical of the area, grow in the sparse woods. There are numerous flowers and blooming shrubs.

Fauna
There are bezoar goats and Armenian mouflons in Vayots Dzor province, who are protected by the state. The Caucasus, with its 500 species of animals, is one of the districts of the world where the majority of animals living there are registered in the Red Book; a list of species that are granted varying statuses of protection within the state.

Technical Specifications of the Trail
The best time to visit is from April till November. Yerevan is 144km away from Hermon, so the road there takes 2hr. 26min. and costs 14,400 – 15,000 AMD (if you take a taxi). The distance of the biking trail is around 35km. The duration of biking is around 3.5 hours. The area is located at an altitude of 1,318 - 2,240 m above sea level. 80% of the road is covered with sandstones, the remaining 20% is asphalted. The best drink to have on hand is bottled water.

How to Reach the Trail
To reach the above-mentioned trail, you need to get to Hermon village, in the Vayots Dzor province. It is most convenient to travel by taxi. Taxi services are quite affordable throughout Armenia. We recommend taking a cab with a taximeter.

Shared By:

State Tourism Committee Repub…

Trail Ratings

  5.0 from 1 vote

#1

in Hermon

#4466

Overall
  5.0 from 1 vote
5 Star
100%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%
Trail Rankings

#1

in Hermon

#3

in Armenia

#4,466

Overall
1 Views Last Month
78 Since Dec 22, 2017
Intermediate Intermediate

0%
0%
100%
0%
0%
0%

Photos

on the way
Dec 22, 2017 near Jermuk, Not set (Republic of Armenia)
on the way
Dec 22, 2017 near Malishka, Not set (Republic of Armenia)

0 Comments

Current Trail Conditions

Unknown
Add Your Check-In

Check-Ins

none

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.