Dawson Butte Open Space Trail

 19 votes

5.0 Miles 8.0 Kilometers


Singletrack

398' 121 m

Ascent

-405' -123 m

Descent

6,841' 2,085 m

High

6,531' 1,991 m

Low

3%

Avg Grade (2°)

9%

Max Grade (5°)

All Clear

10 days agoUpdate

A five-mile loop through forested areas with open meadows and views of the Front Range Mountains.

Richard Cota

Overview

The trail is also used by hikers and horseback riders, and pets on a leash are allowed.
Dogs: Leashed

Description

The five-mile loop trail on Dawson Butte Open Space travels through mostly forested areas with open meadows and views of the Front Range Mountains. The trail follows gently rolling terrain but near the bottom or southwest part of the trail, there's a section with a lot of sand.

Going clockwise from the parking lot, the first two miles of the trail are through meadows populated with stands of scrub oak. This portion of the trail descends about 400 feet. At the two-mile mark, the trail begins to climb and for the next two miles passes through a Ponderosa pine forest. A picnic area is located at mile three.

The trail climbs steadily for the last three miles, and after mile four passes through the top of a meadow before ending at the parking lot. Multiple side trails allow for a customized ride of varying distances. The trail provides numerous excellent views of the Front Range and the Palmer Divide.

Contacts

Rate Trail


   Clear

3.5 from 19 votes


Get On-Trail Navigation

Send to Phone
Your Check-Ins

Check-Ins

Jul 17, 2017
Brad Alexander
Awesome trail for a quick spin 5mi
Jun 13, 2017
Allison Kimball
Beautiful mellow trail w Dad
Jun 10, 2017
Greg Manestar
A nice ride with some great views. Ideal for beginners if they have the strength to power through the final climb which is almost entirely soft sand.
May 31, 2017
Lance Freeman
Great ride. 4.6mi
May 6, 2017
Meghan Hollaback
5mi — 0h 50m
Nov 15, 2016
Tommy Delgado
Fun flowing. Patches of sand 5.1mi
Nov 11, 2016
J Erik Hartel
Oct 17, 2016
Damian Paul
5.4mi

Trail Ratings

  3.5 from 19 votes

#3144

Overall
  3.5 from 19 votes
5 Star
5%
4 Star
47%
3 Star
37%
2 Star
11%
1 Star
0%
Rankings

#296

in Colorado

#3,144

Overall
234 Views Last Month
2,794 Since Sep 5, 2013
Easy Easy

88%
12%
0%
0%
0%
0%

Conditions


All Clear 10 days ago
Dry - Great! Fun! The closer you get to the low point/bottom of the trail the more soft deep sand you'll encounter. Otherwise fantastic short ride.
Update ConditionsHistory

Getting forecast...

I generally like coming here. Very scenic and great for a quick ride at lunch time. It's a popular equestrian trail though, so sometimes you do have to deal with the occasional bigotry or even threat (just once for me) just for showing up on wheels. If there are no horse trailers in the lot, you're good. If there are, it's a good 80% chance that you're still okay and will run across some friendly folks as long as you're polite. The other 20% of the time can make for an unpleasant experience. Apr 1, 2015


I ride both horses and MTB at this park - I have found both communities to be respectful and polite - share the trail - don't be a jerk or act like you are the only group that has a right to be here - it goes a long way. My horse can spook, my bike - not so much, be aware on the trails - have fun out there! Jul 15, 2016


Really nice relaxing ride, but rather annoying horse owners let their horses just poop all over the trail and don't clean it up... May 7, 2017


MTB Project is part of the REI Co-op family,
where a life outdoors is a life well lived.

Shop REI Mountain Bike

MTB Project is supported by

Support Your Local IMBA Chapter