System is closed from mid-December through mid-April due to snowfall and Spring runoff conditions.
Originally built in the 1930's by Civilian Conservation Corps crews, this classic old trail is still in use and has been well maintained over the last 75 years. It starts at the McGaffey Campground Trailhead, runs along the back of the Campground, crosses a small footbridge, and then winds up to the historic McGaffey Fire Lookout Tower.
This is a wide smooth multi-use trail with a gentle switch backing climb up to the top of the ridge. Beginners will appreciate the confidence building climb to the top and the exhilarating swoop back down again. Intersects the Tampico Trail at 1.6 mi.