MTB Project Logo

GPX Files from Phone to Garmin GPS

Original Post
Alison Harmon · · San Diego · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

I see I can't do this from the phone app. Guess I have to get on the Website Full Site, then transfer it somehow?

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5,750

Hey Alison,

Correct. The GPX export functionality only exists on the website.

I'm interested to hear your use case and how we might be able to better this feature in the future.

Best,

Tom

Alison Harmon · · San Diego · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

That's too bad. Often I travel just with my Android Phone. I'd really like to be able to get the GPX files on my Garmin!

Zachary Bishop · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

This would be useful for those of us who already have a Garmin / Wahoo mounted to our bars and wish to get the routes to them.  I'd rather keep my phone in my pack away from the elements if I have a dedicated cyclometer with maps.  There are 3rd party garmin apps to move files from a phone to the cyclometer (Wahoo can do this as well).  I've tried loading the desktop version on my Android but it can be nearly impossible to navigate around to where the files are downloaded.  It would be nice to download gpx from the mobile app when I decide where I'm going to ride without having to go home and log into a PC first.  

Tom Robson wrote:

Correct. The GPX export functionality only exists on the website.

I'm interested to hear your use case and how we might be able to better this feature in the future.

Hi Tom, 

I was curious if any consideration is given to a download option for the Mobile apps?  With the recent addition of map capable bike computers, this would be really useful, as we could use Garmin Connect IQ apps to send the files from our phones to our bike computers, which can be kept out in the dirt / rain / snow.  (Same for Wahoo and the upcoming Hammerhead computers).  They can be downloaded ahead of time from a PC, but when I'm going some place new, or far away, I generally don't have a PC with me to download maps.  Loading the Desktop version on a mobile phone can be really difficult to navigate.

Thanks

Hey Zachary,

Thanks for the message and great ideas. I'd love to make exporting rides to GPS devices easier/more intuitive. At present, exporting GPX tracks from the mobile app is not on our timeline, but I'll definitely bring the idea up with our product team.

I'm sure you understand, but we're a small team. This means we have to be very discerning about our product decisions. That's not to say your request won't happen in the future, just not in the near future.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom - I totally understand.  

Now that I'm trying my new Garmin Edge, I don't think it loads multiple GPX at the same time like the old eTrex units, so I may need to use a laptop regardless.  

Good to see it brought up tho, thanks!

I know this has been a product suggestion for some time but I just wanted to check in and see if there are any plans at this time for a way to transfer maps to a Garmin device?  
Your main competitor (I won't mention the name) has just come out with a ConnectIQ app that loads up on Garmin devices and lets you directly pull maps to it through your phone connection.  
As this essentially cuts out all of the work I have to do (opening each map on a desktop PC, saving  files, transferring to the Garmin....

Hey Zach,

We're working directly with Garmin on an app that should be announced soon. Stay tuned!

-Tom

Thats good news! I can't wait to see what's in store.  For what it's worth I tried other connectiq app from the other guys and uninstalled it the next day...I could only seem to pull 'routes' rather than a group of trails, which didn't do much good for a complex group of trails.  It also just flooded the list with everybody's routes which was random without preview..  Hopefully the app will be to pull the data and not replace the entire Garmin apps during the ride, that way it still retains all the native functions for data screens, power meters, etc.

Richard Kolkovich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I would LOVE to see this functionality.

If the trail data is downloaded, doesn't the device have the GPX already?

I have to either use the website to download the GPX to my phone (to load to my Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt via the app) or download it on my laptop and transfer it. Either one requires a 'Net connection (limitation if making a game-time decision where there is no cell service), and the MTB Project website is HORRENDOUS on mobile, so the laptop transfer is the least anger-inducing option. :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "GPX Files from Phone to Garmin GPS"
in the MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions