GPS apps for android

Original Post
Chris WJ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I'm planning on using my Samsung S7 for gps on the Colorado Trail this year, so I'm looking at which app works best and has the best availability of backcountry maps.  Bikepacking.com recommends Gaia GPS, but I stumbled across "The Colorado Trail Hiker" app and it looks nice.  I'll probably give it a whirl and try it out on the sections near my house.  Anyone have any experience with any of the apps, good or bad?

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 6,395

Hey Chris,

I've used Gaia GPS before and it works pretty well. You can cache (pre-download) a base map which is nice, but I actually prefer using MTB Project for long distance trails like the CT. The app works sans cell service and doesn't drain too much battery. In addition, the text descriptions for each of the CT segments helps a lot.

Simply download the Colorado area ahead of time and you'll be good to go!

-Tom

Michael Fraleigh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I can not figure out how to track a new trail! There are pretty much no trails in my area mapped out but the forest is riddled with them. So I am trying to hook people up by putting some on the map. But how the hell did I do it? I spent 20 minutes at the begging of a trail today trying to figure it out. I finally said the hell with it and mapped it on strava

Chandler Harr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can record trail rides on MTB Project. You record your route on  Strava, MapMyFitness, Garmin Connect, MotionX, or MyTracks and then upload the file to MTB to "map a new trail." MTB Project is a mapping resource that can show you where you are on the trail if you use the little arrow in the top right corner of the mapping screen and subsequently show you a pre-uploaded trail/map to a trail. Hope this helps? 

See the link for where I got my information: https://www.mtbproject.com/mapping

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,048

Actually Chandler, the app now does allow recording to your account. You can then use that as a base to create trails or rides from. If you hit the hamburger button (3 lines) at the top left corner of the app, and go to [gps tracks / record] and then tap  [record a track] on the bottom left of the app, you can record and save your ride to mtb project.

Now, nobody else will see it at that point, nor will it appear on the website for other users. But you can click on your profile icon on the main mtb project website, click [your profile] from the menu that pops up (not share your trails), and then you'll go to your profile page. From there you can see the rides you've recorded. Click on one of the rides you've recorded, and then click the [share on mtb project] button to edit what you want to share to create a trail (you'll probably want to cut this up in to however many trails you spanned). After cropping the track, you'll need to fill out a few fields for description, rating, etc. A this point the trail will appear on the website, but not the mobile app. You can repeat this process for each trail you want to submit.

After you've filled out the description and saved it, you'll need to  submit it for approval. A moderator will review the submission and respond with any questions, after the moderator approves the trails, they will then appear on the app after the next update to the trail data (which may be 1 to 2 weeks from approval date).

also, you can use the [Share your Trails] option from your profile dropdown if you want to upload a gpx file that you recorded with another site or software instead of directly through the mtb project app.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply