GPS apps for android

Original Post
Chris WJ · Feb 5, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I'm planning on using my Samsung S7 for gps on the Colorado Trail this year, so I'm looking at which app works best and has the best availability of backcountry maps.  Bikepacking.com recommends Gaia GPS, but I stumbled across "The Colorado Trail Hiker" app and it looks nice.  I'll probably give it a whirl and try it out on the sections near my house.  Anyone have any experience with any of the apps, good or bad?

Tom Robson · Feb 6, 2017 · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 6,144

Hey Chris,

I've used Gaia GPS before and it works pretty well. You can cache (pre-download) a base map which is nice, but I actually prefer using MTB Project for long distance trails like the CT. The app works sans cell service and doesn't drain too much battery. In addition, the text descriptions for each of the CT segments helps a lot.

Simply download the Colorado area ahead of time and you'll be good to go!

-Tom

Michael Fraleigh · Apr 2, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined 23 days ago · Points: 0

I can not figure out how to track a new trail! There are pretty much no trails in my area mapped out but the forest is riddled with them. So I am trying to hook people up by putting some on the map. But how the hell did I do it? I spent 20 minutes at the begging of a trail today trying to figure it out. I finally said the hell with it and mapped it on strava

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply