MTB Project Logo

Chupacabras 100k - Juarez, MX

Original Post
Tim Herget · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hi!  Just signed up and extremely new to mountain biking.  In fact, have been using a 1977 Schwinn Continental for most of the mild off pavement stuff.  I think it is time to upgrade.  I have some bikes in mind, but, more importantly, I am considering entering a race in October -  The Chupacabras 100k.  I am active on my road bike, averaging about 125 miles per week.  It's time to play in the dirt.  I have found data info on this ride and looking for more current info.  Before registering, I want to make sure that I can handle the dirt.  First things first, yeah, the bike...this week.  Second - anyone have any thoughts on some skills programs?  Mountain Bike training...do's and don'ts - maybe a mountain bike clinic of sorts?  I have seen the You Tube stuff and that is great, but I find it best to by-pass some of the trial, error, repair and hospital expense and seek out the Pro's.  Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.  Lastly, I don't don the bibs of a younger rider.  By the time this race comes to pass, so to will be the passing of my 6th decade on this rock!  Thank you!

Tony Reyes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 269

Wow, the Chupacabras is a heck of a race to cut your teeth on.  I ran it twice in 2000 and 2001.  Roadbiking will give you a good cardio base but handling the technical sections takes practice.  Walk any sections you feel unsure of.  Lots of racers do.  Also, most ride a hardtail for this race.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Chupacabras 100k - Juarez, MX"
in the Partners