tuscon or vegas?

mike gibson
Rapid City, SD

Original Post

Need to get out of the snow.  Should I go to tuscon or vegas?   I have been to bootleg canyon but not any other areas near las vegas, and never been to tuscon.  Thanks for any recommendations.  — Jan 5, 2017

Brock Warner
Beaverton, OR

Never ridden in Vegas but Tucson has a lot of good riding.  Classier town too, but that's more subjective.  :)

Check out Sweetwater for probably the best close-to-town to awesome-riding ratio.

Honeybee was my favorite while living there.  Pretty chill riding but lots of miles and away from it all.  Links up with more technical stuff up in the Tortolita Mountains.  There is some conflict on trail access now but it looks like someone has updated the route on here to reflect the legal/proper way to get to the trails, so follow that.

50 Year Trail is a classic and the Whoops are fun.

Willow Springs, otherwise known as the 24 Hour Course is a bit further out of town but also fun and chill riding.

And finally, Fantasy Island is a popular place for very cultivated, purpose-built trail riding with lots of ups and downs and windings around.

There's ton of other trails to ride around the area, even up on Mount Lemmon (although there's not as much as you might expect).  Living in a place now that is wet and dark in the winter, I sure am missing riding in Tucson right now.

— Jan 5, 2017

John Edgett
Unknown Hometown

+1 for Tucson riding- don't forget Starr Pass for some intermediate trails, lots of brand new Singletrack been built there in the last year or so. And for more of a technical ride, Mt. Lemmon offers Bug Springs- Molino Basin - La Milagrosa. — Jan 6, 2017

Bill Tanner
Unknown Hometown

Vegas most definitely! Fossil Canyon (across from Red Rocks) and Blue Diamond area trails are fast and fun. Three Mile Smile is a blast!  — Jan 6, 2017

James Farabaugh
Tucson, AZ

Another +1 for Tucson, but I live here and have never ridden near Vegas so take my vote with a grain of salt. — Jan 6, 2017

James Farabaugh
Tucson, AZ

Bill, it's not as bad as you imagine.  The trails get plenty of use, and the local IMBA chapter (SDMB) do a lot of trail maintenance.  No worries as long as you keep control and stay on the trail! — Jan 6, 2017

Michael Korpela
Unknown Hometown

I am fortunate enough to be a travel nurse which means I get paid to move every 3 months to a new area with great mountain biking.  I did Bootleg Canyon last winter and am in Tucson now.  You can't go wrong with either choice.  For me Tucson is a much nicer city and I would come back here over the Las Vegas area in a heartbeat. — Jan 6, 2017

John Ritter
Unknown Hometown
Michael Korpela wrote:

I am fortunate enough to be a travel nurse which means I get paid to move every 3 months to a new area with great mountain biking.  I did Bootleg Canyon last winter and am in Tucson now.  You can't go wrong with either choice.  For me Tucson is a much nicer city and I would come back here over the Las Vegas area in a heartbeat.

Me too Michael! here through April now. Then back to the PNW.  — Jan 6, 2017

mike gibson
Rapid City, SD

Thanks to everyone for the responses.  Kinda leaning toward Tuscon, but the weather might be the decider. — Jan 6, 2017

George Zankich
Glendora

In tucson you can also ride the Arizona Trail. Just on the outskirts of  tucson in Vail.  Its a nice ride from 3 bridges up to pistol hill. Like others have said tucson is a nice town. I've heard 50 mile and starr pass are great riding too. I visit in laws twice a year there but only ride in thw southwest area near the AZT. Fantasy island is fun too... good for night riding. I've only ridden blue diamond in vegas which was ok for a day of riding but hea2ed good stuff about bootleg. Wearher wise i would choose tucso... Vegas can get cold and windy this time of year. — Jan 6, 2017

Post a Reply