Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
MTB Project Logo

Using MTB Project to navigate a trail

Original Post
Clark Hagel · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 15

How do you use this app to navigate a trail? I use my phone to select a trail that I want Yo ride but can't figure out how to actually use it for navigation.

Brian Smith · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5,531

Clark - The app will show your location on a trail while you're riding. You can also see your location on the elevation profile to get an idea of how much climbing/descending is ahead of you. Does that answer your question?

Clark Hagel · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 15

Hi, yes thank you. So it basically uses your phones GPS and correlates with the gpx file in the app, I take it.

Brian Smith · · Boulder, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5,531

Yup - exactly. And because the GPS tracks for the states you've downloaded are stored locally, it works without cell service.

Jayson Hurd · · Highlands Ranch · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I used it for this type of thing last year quite a bit. Often the position would not update. I am not sure whether this was a bug in the previous version or my phone's GPS. Closing and restarting the app would fix it. I believe I have a newer version this year and will try it out soon on some longer rides.

Kyle Kai · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 9

If you're talking about an iPhone, sometimes it takes a minute or two to update your location. That's partly because while you have the phone locked (in sleep mode), the GPS does not update to preserve battery power. Then when you activate the app, the phone has to obtain your position and show it on the map. If you're in a canyon or an area that may block the GPS, it may take longer.

Doug Brown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

None of my phones seem to allow any on-trail navigation. I have had two android phones, use the app constantly, and never have I seen a "blue dot." My "location" thing is "on." The triangle button that seems like it would locate my position is always dead. I REALLY love this app, and use it, and recommend it all the time, but can not seem to utilize this essential function. (BTW ... lost a trail due to snow pack last week and spent 3 hours walking in the woods looking for trail. This feature would have dialed me in.)

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,113

Never had this problem myself doug, but if it's misbehaving you may want to consider deleting the app and re-installing. I've had to do that once or twice in the past when I had issues (typically with map data not updating), though I'm on iOS.

Might want to try this first: For android, you can configure permissions for each app separately. Go to: Settings - Apps - MTB Project - Permissions - Location  and see if it's selected. You can see screenshots in this article on how to configure permissions (it's a security site, so it's got a lot of information about how to disable permissions more than enable). https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/blog/android-permissions-guide/8388/

Doug Brown · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Ben ... Holy balogni. That did it. Feeling like a dunce, but I didn't know that permission was necessary. Glad I posted. Thanks. I GOT THE DOT!!!!

Awesome Doug, Glad to help!

Jay Webster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Is there any way to keep the app from sleeping during a ride? I'd love to be able to keep it open a la Google Maps while I'm riding in unfamiliar territory. Having to stop and turn the phone on constantly is becoming tiresome. Thanks in advance for any help.

@jay - if you're on an iphone you might be able to tweak your settings while riding.
Try Settings - Display & Brightness - Auto-lock and set to 'Never'.

Jay Webster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Yes, agreed that would probably work as a hack. If developers are reading this forum, however, it's a pretty straightforward app setting to change the behavior to mimic other real time GPS mapping apps like google, strava, etc. Thanks!

In other iphone hacks. I've found it super difficult to unlock my phone sometimes when I'm soaked and my gloves are soaked. I can't get the damn numeric code entry to come up to unlock my phone, I keep tapping the home button and get no response.

My workaround, I disabled the auto dial on emergency 911 call in settings, then when I need to unlock, I'll hold the power and up-volume button at the same time till it brings up the power off/emergency/medical Id screen, I tap cancel and then put in my 4 digit code to unlock.

Terina C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

I'm expecting the MTB-project app (Android 9 ; Pixel2XL ; apk v3.2.6 b94) to offer turn-by-turn advice when navigating saved routes. I'm expecting the map to keep my position centered, with a north-up or track-up display option. Am I way off base here? Does the app do that? (Like Google Maps or Komoot?) Is there some screen or function that I've completely overlooked? Of are these features simply not there?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Using MTB Project to navigate a trail"
in the MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions