MTB Project Logo

Trail Map Update

Original Post
· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I'm admin for a local trail here in Eastern NC. I see the trail map is very old and I would like to update it using one of my gpx files. How can I accomplish this?

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5,926

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for checking out MTB Project. I would first hop over to mtbproject.com/mapping, and see what's necessary for getting started. If you have other questions, please reach back out.

-Tom

Yeah the trail was already built by someone but it wasn't a good gpx file. I have a gpx file of the actual trail. How do I replace the old one with the new one without losing the detail I've added already?

Current page: mtbproject.com/trail/700192...

Gpx file attached.

Tom Robson wrote:
Hey Jerry,

Thanks for checking out MTB Project. I would first hop over to mtbproject.com/mapping, and see what's necessary for getting started. If you have other questions, please reach back out.

-Tom

Tom,

Additional info - I've adopted a trail, so I suppose the GPX that was uploaded doesn't belong to me so I don't have the edit option as described below:

Find a trail that needs improvement:
On the trail page, find the "You and this Ride/Trail" section on the right-hand side of the page.
Click "Edit Description or GPS track" to make any necessary updates.

Adopt Trails or Rides:
Some trails are mapped, but are missing descriptions and other details. If you know enough about that trail or ride to complete it, take ownership. Simply look for this symbol to find adoptable trails

Jerry,

Great questions all around. Let's see if I can tackle them all.

- As for replacing an entire GPS track, the best way to do that is to do exactly what you've done; reach out to an admin. In the future, simply send an email to content@adventureprojects.net with the gpx track and a link to trail you want edited, and we'll get to it ASAP.
- As for improving an existing trail, the process you describe (using the "You and this Ride/Trail" section) only applies to content that's already considered complete on the site. So, since you now have ownership of the trail, you don't need to go through those steps to edit the gps track. On the edit page simply click the "Edit the GPS points" link to do just that. Beyond replacing the entire track, you have the power to add/delete/edit any point along this track.

I hope this all makes sense! If not, I'd be more than happy to answer other questions.

-Tom

Also, I forgot to mention, I replaced this entire GPX track for you. So it should be good to go.

-Tom

Tom Robson wrote:
Also, I forgot to mention, I replaced this entire GPX track for you. So it should be good to go.

-Tom

I see that! Thanks! I'm adding trail symbols now and I'll link it on our website.

Thanks again!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Wheels
Post a Reply to "Trail Map Update"