New bike

Original Post
Trever Petty · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I'm not new to the sport of mountain biking, but i am planning on buying my first "real mountain bike" soon and was wanting some opinions on the bike i should get. First some background info, I am 5' 8" or so, I ride mostly single track and i currently ride a horrible mongoose bike. I am trying to choose between the specialized stumpjumper FSR comp, the Trek remedy 7, and the Santa Cruz Tallboy. I am wanting a good 650b bike that can stand up to some drops. Feel free to recommend other bikes that yall think I would like.
Thank you!

Alvin Mullen · · florida · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I cannot speak to the other bikes, but a riding buddy has a Stumpjumper FSR and I rode it this weekend. Very sweet bike. I have a Giant Stance and also rode a Giant Trance last weekend. Even with the Trance having better components than my Stance I like the feel of the Stance better. The Stumpy actually, somehow, felt both quicker handling and more stable at the same time.

Rick Gerardi · · Orange, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 102

Late response but thought I'd give my 2 cents anyway. I own a Santa Cruz Tallboy and absolutely love it, because it climbs like a billy goat and can handle any drop or rough terrain you throw at it. That said, I've also ridden the FSR Comp, and really liked that ride as well. I favor the Tallboy overall but there's some cost savings with the equivalent FSR setup.

One thing you may have already figured out by now is the Tallboy only comes as a 29er (you mentioned wanting 650b in your post). That stated, I would NOT rule out a 29er. Ride one and decide for yourself.

Good luck.

Dennis Fontanilla · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I'm thinking about buying a trek bike.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply