Offline Maps

IB Browning
Morgantown, WV

Original Post

I'm aware that the iPhone (and I assume the Android) App does not show any background map if you have no cell or wifi signal, unless you have zoomed the area while you have signal and the cache hasn't cleared. Has this changed recently? I see the App page of the website says:

'Works with no cell signal, including all mapping and geolocating features'

I haven't tried it recently and was wondering if the new update has offline maps. And one other question. Is it possible to set the scale bar in the app to miles instead of kilometers?

Thanks! — Oct 26, 2015
Brian Smith
Boulder, CO
IB,

You're right about the base maps - they do not appear if you haven't looked at that area while in service. Perhaps the text you found could be misunderstood to mean that the base maps will work w/o service too. Are your referring to this page? mtbproject.com/mobileApp

Base map tiles are not included in data that's available offline because the data packs would be too large if we included them.

The metric/imperial setting is in a bit of an odd place...

- Get to the home page of the app (page with the "Installed Trail Areas," Near Me," Search," and "My Profile" buttons)
- Click the small "About MTB Project Link at the bottom of that page
- Select the desired measurement system at the top of the next page.

Let me know if this answers your questions! — Oct 26, 2015
Mark Mortensen
Durango, CO

The text "No signal? Thanks, backcountry! No, really, we mean it — that's why our app works offline." on http://mtbproject.com/mobileApp is totally mis-leading.  The app doesn't work offline because the base maps are not available offline.  So how does the app work offline?  Explain this logic.  There's also no easy way to know if map tiles will be available and at what resolution if I'm in the backcountry and no cell service.  It would be great if you could provide a means to download map tiles at certain resolution for off line use. — Feb 5, 2017

Tom Robson
Unknown Hometown

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the message. The app certainly works offline, it just doesn't have the complete functionality it normally offers in its online state. 

You're right, in order to load base map tiles the app requires service. However, the app's most critical functionality still operates; the ability to locate you in relation to trails.

Without a doubt, having the ability to cache base maps in a manual fashion is something we want to do. However, it's not currently on our development horizon. Look for something like this in the future. In the meantime, I hope that by providing the app's core functionality we're able to provide you with a decent product. 

If it's of interest, there is a way you can almost guarantee that the base maps cache in your app. Simply be sure to look at the area you're going to (in the app) prior to leaving service range.

If you have any other questions or comments, simply reply here or start a new thread.

Thanks,

Tom — Feb 6, 2017

Post a Reply