MTB Project Logo

GPS coordinates for parking lots

Original Post
benjamin langbauer · · DTC, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 15

Since you are asking for suggestions how about a link for parking lots that loads the directions into my phone. Or at least something I could copy and paste to get directions.

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,085

+1 on this. I would love for the app to be able to launch google maps (or apple maps if on iphone) to get directions to parking lot or trailhead. I wanted this feature the other day when I was going to ride a park I had never been to before and needed directions.

Parking lot would be priority though, and would give people incentive to add this data.

Adam Kagy · · Victor, ID · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 2,940

+1 for a link or something to launch directions in a mapping program to parking areas. This would have come in handy many of times for me.

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5,933

Hey guys,

Thanks for reaching out. I'm pretty sure the app does this. Just click on a parking symbol and hit the arrow in the pop-up box. This will open Apple/Google Maps (depending on the make of your phone) using your current location as the start point.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

-Tom

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,085

Nice, looks like this worked like a charm for me when I tried it. Thanks for the heads up.

don begley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0
benjamin langbauer wrote:
Since you are asking for suggestions how about a link for parking lots that loads the directions into my phone. Or at least something I could copy and paste to get directions.

Bumping this post: It would be nice to have lat/long info for trailheads (junctions would be nice, too) that could be copied and pasted into other apps, GaiaGPS in my case. Or, is this info already there and I'm missing it?

@Don - We do not offer GPS coordinates of parking areas/trailheads. However, if you do open them in Google by clicking "Directions", the URL will have coordinates embedded. I know this is a little roundabout, but it's the fastest way to extract coordinates for TH's from the site at this time.

-Tom

Jayson Hurd · · Highlands Ranch · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I had the exact same problem last year. I was meeting some guys in Moab, where I had never been before. They said go to the Cane Creek parking lot. There were 2 or 3 places to park along that canyon - so maybe some feature to add a description of each etc. would have helped me understand. I'd be happy to write some up when I visit but I don't think you have a feature for parking spots like you do for trails.

George Coghill · · Kent, OH · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0
Tom Robson wrote: @Don - We do not offer GPS coordinates of parking areas/trailheads. However, if you do open them in Google by clicking "Directions", the URL will have coordinates embedded. I know this is a little roundabout, but it's the fastest way to extract coordinates for TH's from the site at this time.

-Tom

This doesn't work. It opens up the Google Maps app, but I can't highlight or copy the coordinates in either the search boxes or in the step by step directions. 

It would be much more ideal to just have the coordinates be available to copy as part of the share menu. 
George Coghill wrote:

This doesn't work. It opens up the Google Maps app, but I can't highlight or copy the coordinates in either the search boxes or in the step by step directions. 

It would be much more ideal to just have the coordinates be available to copy as part of the share menu. 

Ah, sounds like you're on your phone. I think this workaround only applies to web.

Charly Aurelia · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

love to have coordinates available on phone apps ( I use Android) and have lat/Lon and UTM grid coordinate options  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "GPS coordinates for parking lots"