MTB Project Logo

grouping trails together

Original Post
Bryan Shipman · · Sherwood, AR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 243

Is there a way to group trails to show that they are really part of a larger network?

ESG Greene · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 632

One thing I have done is add the area name to the trail name. (AREA NAME - TRAIL NAME) This can be annoying for users in some situations and I think this could be a possible upgrade to the site in the future. Maybe someone in the know can chime in on why it wouldn't be useful?

Devon Doran · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 184

Agreed. The majority of trails in many places I have ridden are in a specific park or recreational area. It would be great if in addition to club and land manager that you could list park/ trail network name and be listed for trail segments too.

calitradclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2001 · Points: 0

Another thing we can do is create an area page, like this one:

Areas don't have to be as big as Moab. If you have a suggestion for a riding area, let me know. I can create it for you and assign you as the owner if you'd like to fill in some of the information (it's not mandatory to fill in all of those fields - just an overview of what the area is like)

As for naming conventions - we'd like to see a featured ride that's named as Area name - trail name as you described, but each individual trail should just be named Trail Name.

joel rathje · · susanville, ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 1,504

We would love an area page for Susanville:)

Robert Stump · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 390

Couldn't this be as simple as the sister site for climbing? Areas are grouped into "subfolders." For example, Spider Mesa area would be in Utah>Moab Area>Spider Mesa> and then each individual trail (or "route" as in the sister site) in that "folder." I find this very easy, as it allows one to "drill down" into areas or quickly expand an area search by moving up to a higher folder level. If an area becomes too complex it can then be easily divided into a couple more sub-areas, like Spider Mesa North and Spider Mesa South, for example.

Chuck Hutchens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 15

How do I get signed up as the owner for Cam-Rock Park Area 3 in Wisconsin? I am the Trail Steward out here for these trails, and I have just started using mtbproject. I would like to get the information updated for this site, including the name (Dane County Parks has now started calling it CamRock Park instead of Cam-Rock Park), and the descriptions, etc.
I am also on the CORP Board of Directors for the last few years, in addition to being Trail Steward of CamRock for the last 10 years, so I think I can be trusted ;-)
I would also like to get these trails set up as groups of trails. With segments, etc, that can be looped or grouped together.

joel rathje wrote:
We would love an area page for Susanville:)

Joel - I've created an area for you:

Would you like me to make you the owner so you can fill in text about the area?
joel rathje · · susanville, ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 1,504

That would be great. Thanks

All set, Joel. When you visit the area page, you'll now see an "edit" link at the top.

Jonathan Halstead · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Hi Michael,
I like the idea of grouping trails together. I am working with Mark Torsius in IMBA Europe, and we're developing a project to map out long distance mtb routes around Europe (rather like for off-road). We need a place to store the satnav files for readers to download. A separate "area" on mtb project could well do what we need, but I wondered:
1) is Europe too large to define as an area?
2) do you have a limit on the size of a satnav file - some routes are over 2000km long so will have 10's of thousands of trackpoints.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob Tubbs · · Birmingham, AL · Joined May 2013 · Points: 4

Just another vote for making an "Area" option more intuitive. I'm in Alabama, and I see a lot of "trails" listed on the site which are just small segments of one much larger trail system. For instance, Lightning, Cat Dog Snake, and Garrett's Gulch are all listed as individual trails, when in fact they are just segments of the larger loop trail system at Oak Mountain State Park. Most people that ride Oak Mountain couldn't even identify where CDS or Garrett's start and stop -- they're just part of the big loop. You can't even get to them without riding other parts of the big loop.
Similarly, Rock Slot, Mama Bear, etc. at Coldwater Mountain are all just individual segments, not separate "Trails". There is no way to ride just Rock Slot -- you have to ride the main Coldwater Mountain loop to get to it. It, Bomb Dog, Mama / Papa / Baby, Trillium, Hare, etc. are all indidivual segments of one larger trail system in one specific area.
I think it's fine to identify particular segments of the trail, but it seems like the site should make it obvious that they aren't standalone trails - they're one small part of a much larger "trail."
There has to be a better way to do this, because as is, it's a little confusing for people exploring new areas. If a person from out of town showed up in Birmingham and asked someone to show her the trailhead for Garrett's Gulch, nobody would know what she was talking about.

Glenn Duzy · · West Hartford, CT · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 429

Hi Michael,

Can you create an Area called "West Hartford Reservoir" so I can group the trails I am creating?

Thank you.

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5,726

Hey Glenn,

Awesome to see someone adding trails in my home state of CT! Take a look at this area page and let me know if you want anything changed -

Additionally, we can make you the "owner" of the area page if you want to fill in any metadata for things such as food and libations, local shops, etc. Just let me know!

Glenn Duzy · · West Hartford, CT · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 429

Hi Tom,

I'd be happy to be the owner and add in other metadata.

BTW, this is a great site/app! I've use it every time I can when I ride a new location.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "grouping trails together"
in the MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions