MTB Project Logo

Mountain Bike Only Trails

Original Post
Shayne Holderby · · Elk Grove, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 1,554

Don't know if this is the appropriate forum but here goes:

Does anyone know of a mountain bike ONLY trail on public (state or federal) land in the state of California? I can find dozens of Horse only and hundreds of hiker only but I have yet to find a single trail just for mountain bikes in the state. Now having said that and also the whole partnering theme with land managers, does anyone else think equal access is actually happening?

Adam Kagy · · Victor, ID · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 2,941

Interesting question. I can't answer for California, but the only trails that I know of that are bike only in CO are downhill only trails at bike parks/ski areas.
Even the non-lift serviced BLM/National Forest trails that are directional still technically allow hikers on them. It sounds like CA has practically the same trail situation as CO.

Hap Proctor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Ridden trails in Montana, Oregon & California the past six months. I haven't found a dedicated mtb trail yet. The Cross Florida Greenway (Santos) has dedicated individual trails for bikers, hikers, and horse back riders.

Chris Chaney · · Stanton, Kentucky · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 2,126

The Knucklehead Trail at Life Adventure Center near Versailles, KY is mountain bike only, but it's on a private camp. mtbproject.com/trail/700530...

I've ridden in KY, OH, and CO and don't know of a single MTB only trail on public land.

Adam Kagy · · Victor, ID · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 2,941
Chris Chaney wrote:
I've ridden in KY, OH, and CO and don't know of a single MTB only trail on public land.

Most of the larger ski areas with bike parks have trails which are on public land and can be accessed anytime for free that are MTB only downhill trails.

Also, plenty of areas have directional trails where hikers are discouraged and not recommended (18 road in fruita, captain ahab in moab, ect.)
Timo Leahy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 79
Shayne Holderby wrote:
Does anyone know of a mountain bike ONLY trail on public (state or federal) land in the state of California? I can find dozens of Horse only and hundreds of hiker only but I have yet to find a single trail just for mountain bikes in the state. Now having said that and also the whole partnering theme with land managers, does anyone else think equal access is actually happening?

Did you find any MTB only trails since your post? Equal access is NOT happening on the BBT.  ( backbone trail in the Santa Monica Mts. ) 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trail Building & Maintenance
Post a Reply to "Mountain Bike Only Trails"