MTB Project Logo

How much Travel needed riding at aspen snowmas?

Original Post
jpcloud Gee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

How much travel mm needed riding mtb around Aspen Snowmass? I am not doing downhill, and planning to get a MTB of my own.
FS vs HT what is better for riding around the area? Will HT with 100mm is enough to strat or I should get 120mm?Climbing and descending. And for the FS version should I get 150mm of travel or 140mm is good enough?I understand that diff. bike is for diff. purpose. But this will be my one and only mtb to start with and riding around the town of Aspen Snowmass .

I would like to spend time in trail biking around the area as much as possible during the summer I was there. I will do during my off day. I am staying at snowmass.I dont have a car, is there any mtb trails bus accessible?

And what are the thing do you need to carry with you during the ride?
Tnx a lot
Excited to spend summer in Aspen CO. This year:)

Matt Rettmer · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 83

I"m on the front range (Denver) area and I ride a Trek Remedy 9 (FS with 5" of travel). It is an all-around bike and will handle any and all trails. The new suspension allows me to do a full lockout so I can lock out the front or rear or both. This really makes the bike effiicent if climbing and a soft ride when going down.

Don't limit yourself...go with a full suspension because as you start riding you are going to get better and will want to do more and more advanced trails.

My 2 cents.

Adam Kagy · · Victor, ID · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 2,942

You would be fine on a HT 29er which will save you money and also would be a great first MTB to learn on. No need to drop 3-4k on a full suspension for your first bike (unless you have the cash to burn). Besides, most of the trails here in the Elks (Aspen/Crested Butte) aren't super technical and your 29er will be a quicker on the way up.

Since you're in Snowmass there are plenty of trails immediately starting from the village or the town of Aspen, no car needed.

If you get a chance, head over to Crested Butte, in my opinion we have the best connected trail system in the state. Enjoy your summer in the Elks!

Thanx for the response.
I am down to my list option. 29er is too big for me and 27.5 is the right size. Would be the 27.5 with 100mm of travel is good enough HT?. Or FS 27.5 wheel with 140mm of travel? Will over kill riding around snowmass.
Im thinking between these two bikes.

Trance 27.5 1 with 140mm front suspension(FS)
XTC 27.5 2 with 100mm front suspension (HT)

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Tnx alot

Adam Kagy · · Victor, ID · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 2,942

If you're going to go with a 27.5, personally I would go with the Trance FS. The XTC is more of a race bike (unless you like those kind of bikes), super lightweight, and will be nice on the uphills. I think you'll have more fun with the trance, especially since it sounds like you want to ride a wide variety of trails and the FS won't beat you up like the HT will on longer rides with a 27.5

Would it be fine if FS with 100mm front suspension for my desire riding around aspen/trail? I just tried anthem fs with 100mm at parking lot not on the trail. Would it be good enough for fs 100mm? What are differences?
Tnx

Mike Sylvester · · Oceanside, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

I'd get the 140 if you want more of a do it all bike. That extra squish can be awful nice the more you ride. I have a 29er with 120mm and a 27.5 with 155mm of travel. I never thought I'd need 155mm but I'm using all of it.

THANK YOU MIKE. I APPRICIATE YOUR RESPONSE.
-JOHNA

harry josh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 13 days ago · Points: 0

Try to seek a piece of advice at travel forums, I have seen the awful riding but never tried myself. By the way, the commenter above just offered you a good solution.
aenna martin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 10 hours ago · Points: 0

In case you're there for about fourteen days ski them all. Can skip buttermilk however in the event that you couldn't care less about riding park. Snowmass has a wiped out park at any rate and pretty much everything else you can need. Good countries is completely worth hitting and Ajax has some quite wiped out territory too.

You can get to any of them from anyplace in aspen/snowmass by means of the free rafta transport.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bike & Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "How much Travel needed riding at aspen snowmas?"