MTB Project Logo

Shoody Mechanic/Disc Brake Help

Original Post
mattnorville Norv · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 118

I need your help!

I have SLX Shimano disc brake and on my own accord I ended up opening up the reservior on the handle bar and the fluid came out so I then releaized I need to bleed my brakes. I then got a kit to bleed it and thenstarted to. I got to setting it up and got to the point were I was using a box wrench on the discard knob and didn't have the right size wrench. I then said screw it and took it to a local new mechanic to bleed it for me.

Cost $25 and took 24 hours to get it back to me. He was going to charge me $12 to adjust the brake. I'm a low income man who likes to try and fix his own stuff, so I decided to install the pads and brake back on myself. I then installed the pads the exact way the rear pads was installed and then lined up the pads so the brake rotor was aligned in the middle. Took it for a test ride...

The brake lacks stopping power. Completet lack of it!!! Is it me or the mechanic? I think the lack of stopping power has to do with the fluid and the lack of stopping power. What do you think?

If it is the mechanic or me? If it is me how can I fix it? I'm also asking to see if I should trust the mechanic?

Thanks for your help?

mattnorville Norv · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 118

If anyone else is interested, I posted this on a few other forums. The most replies have been here.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Repair & Maintenance
Post a Reply to "Shoody Mechanic/Disc Brake Help"