MTB Project Logo

New users - we want your feedback!

Matt Goodman · · Duluth, MN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 1,708

It would be great if users could upload a KML of an entire trail system/cluster all at once, and then be able to split that one line file into different "trails" with differing names, descriptions, ratings, etc.

Jason Walence · · Vail, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

I find your website and map very useful while on the road to find trails nearby. It is also nice to see them mapped out for riding around my home. One thing on a trail you have listed in the vail area that confuses people that ride it a lot. The "two elk connector" is actually what we all call commando run...... The mapping software is alright but the overlay is super Hazed and it jumps around a lot on iOS. Example: when you try to scroll or zoom in, it jumps 100 miles in a different direction, loosing your map. Love the site and I share your site/app with everyone I can.

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Jason Walence wrote:
One thing on a trail you have listed in the vail area that confuses people that ride it a lot. The "two elk connector" is actually what we all call commando run......

I added that trail (I live in Vail part time), and do that trail quite a bit. I consider “Commando Run” to be the abandoned trail that used to go straight up the ski area ropes and goes directly to the summit (in contrast to this gentle grade that connects to the top of the poma… but certainly could be wrong.
Jason Walence · · Vail, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Thanks for the quick reply. I can see where you are coming from with that. I live in town too, it was just confusing to explain and understand where we were going using the connector name. Most of the people I work with have lived here quite a while longer than me and still just call it commando. I have only live full time in vail for 4 years.

I still choose going straight down... :) I had never biked Bowmans to Vail, just Millcreek to two elk, the Bowmans uphill is an arduous grind to ride.... I did hike it before though and unfortunately my hiking perspective of the uphill was "easy".

Russ Gowan · · Asheville, NC · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 4

Nick: Just curious, but how do we add a review to a ride? And how do we update the trail info when conditionsvhave changed from the original trail description? You ARE planning on having this be a user (open) focused project, right?

Thanks for all the effort!
Russ

Russ Gowan wrote:
Nick: Just curious, but how do we add a review to a ride? And how do we update the trail info when conditionsvhave changed from the original trail description? You ARE planning on having this be a user (open) focused project, right?
Russ

For a review, or add your opinion or a condition report, you can do three things:
- Add your star rating
- Add your difficulty rating
- Add a Condition Report
- Add a Comment

If it is factually incorrect, you can "Check Out" the trail, make any text changes (or even move the line on the map), and then submit them.
Matt Goodman · · Duluth, MN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 1,708

Has anyone suggested the ability to upload a new GPX or KML file for an already-existing trail? This would be tremendously convenient for updating trails that were mapped before significant re-routes or extensions. It's often very tough guess-work to click and drag vertecies of the existing line to re-locate the track....since you're usually looking at the blury green forest canopy on the aerial imagery.

calitradclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2001 · Points: 0

Matt - we don't like to encourage people to upload new GPX files since this is a fairly rare occurrence. But we can always do it for you. Just e-mail mike@mtbproject.com with a link to the trail and attach the GPX file, and I'll replace it for you.

Thanks!

Dale Erickson · · Nanaimo, BC · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

A little feed back :)

When I am searching for a trail in my area, I get jumped over to trails way way far other world away.

I have my map pinned down to the area I am in, and the range of distance for the search is set, then I give it the name of the trail I am searching for, and because its not entered yet I presume, I am suddenly looking at a trail it would take a five days drive to take a look at :)

I think it would be good for the search engine to respond "I can't find anything in your area, would you like to search farther?" before being redirected like that.

Dale,

Is that in the mobile app or website?

Jeffrey Riek · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

First time user today! Great App. Rode Buffalo Creek in Pine Colorado and had not been on these trails before. Lots of connectors and loops make up the 50+ mile system. Easy to get turned around or go the wrong way. The app was great at knowing exactly where I was at any given time.

Suggestions: (not trying to turn this into Map My Fitness or Strava but...

1. What if the app directed you (kind of like GPS) once you select a ride/route? If the app was telling me "turn left in 1000'..., I wouldn't have to pull the phone out every time I had a question on direction. This of course would only come into play when riding in areas with multiple loops and connectors.

2. Why not use rider app feedback to update routes or confirm routes? I don't know who/how the routes have been loaded into MTB Project originally or how often they get reviewed for accuracy or route changes but why not let the riders do that work for you? Only a first time user but I didn't see anywhere to provide updates to a route if needed.

3. Exporting of routes would be awesome as well (.gpx or .kml) to use in navigation apps if that functionality is not in the future of this app.

Great job guys!

Jeffrey Riek wrote:
1. What if the app directed you (kind of like GPS) once you select a ride/route? If the app was telling me "turn left in 1000'..., I wouldn't have to pull the phone out every time I had a question on direction. This of course would only come into play when riding in areas with multiple loops and connectors.

2. Why not use rider app feedback to update routes or confirm routes? I don't know who/how the routes have been loaded into MTB Project originally or how often they get reviewed for accuracy or route changes but why not let the riders do that work for you? Only a first time user but I didn't see anywhere to provide updates to a route if needed.

3. Exporting of routes would be awesome as well (.gpx or .kml) to use in navigation apps if that functionality is not in the future of this app.

Thanks for the feedback Jeff!

1. We are interested in this, and may enable this on our app or in Garmin devices, in the future.
2. Every trail has a button (right side of page, near the middle) that allows you to improve the description, make edits, etc.
3. This exists - look for the "Download GPX" link below the trail title, near the top left of any trail page.
Eric Ashley · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 14,032

I'd like to see the addition of a category for access & utility roads. A different color and possibly also a different line width so they are part of the map but subtle and not to be confused with actual trails.

Many of the areas I've ridded/mapped have these roads and knowing where they are for reference, in a non-competeting way, would be great. I know Trail Forks has a purple line that seems to work well.

Sailworld Cod · · Buzzards Bay · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 61

Killer site, thanks. Can't seem to find the submit for review button? Unless this happens automatic?

Thanks again from Cape Cod!

Hi there - thanks for the feedback! I checked your account and it looks like your rides need the underlying trails added. We like to see trails mapped as they'd show on a paper map, then your featured rides will use one more several trails. Check out the FAQ for more info about it. And if you have any questions, just e-mail content@adventureprojects.net.

Thanks!

Dan Daley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

What happened to the reviews? I read some about a trail a month back. Also, I left a review about a trail. Now I can't find any reviews on the site.

Eric Braesch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

the new mobile app is not nearly as easy to use and interactive.  
on the web version, the ride profile (altitude) is interactive with the map,   as you move along the profile you can see the bike on the map.     on the mobile version, this used to be the case, however the map and the profile are no longer connected.     Unless there is something that I am doing wrong.   it was so helpful to plan a ride and see where you were on the trail as it relates to the profile of the ride.  

please advise if this feature still exists on the moble app or if it was removed.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "New users - we want your feedback!"