COVID-19: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel, practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
MTB Project Logo

Historical Conditions via API?

Original Post
Chris Harper · · Powell, OH · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

Is it possible to get historical trail conditions with the time they were submitted via the API or even just a JSON dump for a few specific trails? I have some time on my hands and I'm interested in trying to use machine learning/predictive modelling to fill in the gaps when people don't report conditions... ideally I'd like to be able to look at the 7 day weather forecast and predict when the best trail conditions will be, or if they will even be ride-able... a lot of people probably don't need this because their trails drain - but in central Ohio, for about 8 months out of the year it's hard for people to know if it's too muddy to ride... Thanks!

Chris Harper · · Powell, OH · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

One other question - what is the timezone associated with the conditionsDate? Is it mountain time (UTC-6) or is it supposed to be local time to the trail? Just trying to reconcile what I see in the UI vs. what is returned via the service. At around 22:30 EDT on 3/25 the website was displaying the last conditions report for a trail in my area as "8 hours ago" but the service is returning "2020-03-25 12:11:16"...

Patrick Hardy · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 2

Hey Chris, unfortunately we can't make updates to the api or build a JSON dump for you at this time. We love your idea of predicting conditions and would be interested to see what you come up with. Regarding the conditions date, everything is recorded in our time zone; mountain time.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Historical Conditions via API?"