MTB Project Logo

NEED INFO ON PADS!!!

Original Post
Spencer Allen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 20 days ago · Points: 0

Hi everyone,

I have a cool project going on right now and am looking to the forums to get some helpful information.

I’m basically trying to design a new form of protection for mtb riding, whether its enduro, xc, trail riding, whatever you want to classify your riding style as. At this point, I’m trying to get as much rider feedback as i can about what people use, what they like and dislike in current pads, and what could be done better.

What would your ideal protection from crashing be?
What do you love about current pads?
What do you hate about current pads?
What could be improved/changed?

Basically, if you could create your ideal pads for riding, what would they be?

Do you ride with pads at all? If so, can you give me some of your thoughts on them? Do you wear them on extended rides? Only on the descents?

Do you have to take your shoes off to put them on/off?

If you don’t ride with any sort of pads, why don’t you? What new features or new type of pad would make you want to buy them?

This is the type of information I’m looking for, i want to develop exactly what us Mountain Bikers want and need so I’m looking to the forums for as much feedback as possible! Feel free to add any questions, comments, suggestions, and concerns.

Thanks everyone!

B L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 561

Spencer,
I ride with pads sometimes. I used to never ride with pads, then my riding got more aggressive and I wanted pads and wore them all the time, then my riding got more refined so I don't ride with them all the time anymore.
Your questions would probably be answered pretty close to identically by nearly everybody that uses pads: we want pads that protect from all injury, don't take up any space, weigh nothing, let all the air through, etc. Basically, an invisible shield would be ideal.
When I ride with pads I'm mainly doing sporty, DH stuff where the likelihood of an injury if I fall will prevent me from going fast without them. When I'm riding mainly all-day XC stuff and I anticipate only a few sporty spots then I'll leave the pads home. I may still get injured, but only a nasty scrape if any injury at all. I leave the pads home on those days because they get kind of hot and since I'm riding all day I want to conserve the energy by not carrying the extra weight all day - it adds up over the hours. If I'm riding all-day XC during the winter months I'll sometimes opt to bring the pads simply to add warmth.
Do I have to take my shoes off? Depends on the pads I choose. Some slip over the foot (take shoes off) and some strap around the leg (leave shoes on).
Hope it helps.

Spencer Allen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 20 days ago · Points: 0
B L wrote: Spencer,
I ride with pads sometimes. I used to never ride with pads, then my riding got more aggressive and I wanted pads and wore them all the time, then my riding got more refined so I don't ride with them all the time anymore.
Your questions would probably be answered pretty close to identically by nearly everybody that uses pads: we want pads that protect from all injury, don't take up any space, weigh nothing, let all the air through, etc. Basically, an invisible shield would be ideal.
When I ride with pads I'm mainly doing sporty, DH stuff where the likelihood of an injury if I fall will prevent me from going fast without them. When I'm riding mainly all-day XC stuff and I anticipate only a few sporty spots then I'll leave the pads home. I may still get injured, but only a nasty scrape if any injury at all. I leave the pads home on those days because they get kind of hot and since I'm riding all day I want to conserve the energy by not carrying the extra weight all day - it adds up over the hours. If I'm riding all-day XC during the winter months I'll sometimes opt to bring the pads simply to add warmth.
Do I have to take my shoes off? Depends on the pads I choose. Some slip over the foot (take shoes off) and some strap around the leg (leave shoes on).
Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot for the response! You're right, most of the feedback thus far has been pretty similar, but each rider has their own unique opinion so it's nice to get a wide variety of responses, and the more I understand the problem, the better the solution will be. Do you have a preference for one over the other when it comes to slip on vs. strap around the leg? Just curious if you find yourself taking your shoes off mid ride to put on/off pads. Thanks again!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bike & Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "NEED INFO ON PADS!!!"