MTB Project Logo

Best beginner bikes under $500

Original Post
Christopher Weaver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I am brand new to this and therefore; not even sure if I’ll like mountain biking. So, with that being said, I am looking for a decent bike but I would not like to break the bank on it. Please help!

John Styrnol · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 115

You can also rent a bike to make sure.

Noah Raw · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 13 days ago · Points: 0

I would consider buying used off of facebook marketplace because I have saved thousands of dollars there but if that is not your thing I would look at the trek marlin series.

Alvin Mullen · · florida · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Treks are good, also Giant ATX, Norco, or if you have a little mechanical ability, Motobecane from Bikesdirect.com are decent for the money. The one thing you really want in a Mountain bike are disc brakes, if you can afford it get hydraulic brakes and a full air fork. 1x shifting is also nice, and I am a big proponent of dropper posts.

Farisul Islam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 5 days ago · Points: 0

I'm also a newbie here. I want to buy a new bike for me. Though I don't have a big budget like the OP.  What do you suggest dude?

Jimi Nixon · · Valleyview, OH · Joined 8 days ago · Points: 0

Still recommend Craigslist.  I got a decent mtn Ghost bike for $500 there.  You won't get nothing but garbage much lower than that.  So if you do get cheap, just be ready to replace it in a year or 2 if you're hard on it.  (Which mtn bike courses tend to be.)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bike & Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best beginner bikes under $500"