MTB Project Logo

Server error creating trail

Original Post
Rex Macey · · Blue Ridge, Ga · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 18

For days I've been getting a MTB Project server problem -  "We've hit some rough trail. Our servers are having a temporary problem.".  This comes from the URL:  mtbproject.com/upload/finish after I've selected a GPX file to upload to create a featured ride (or trail).  I rode a beautiful trail in Bluefield, VA/WVA (it crosses state lines) which is not on MTB project. I mapped it with MapMyRide.  I then had to do an online conversion to get a GPX file from my MapMyRide.  I think the file is ok because I can open it in Google Earth Pro.  Is it my file? Is it really the server?  Any suggestions? Thanks.

FWIW here is a link to the GPX file and some  some trail photos 

Amber Scott · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 64

Hmm, strange. I'm getting the same error when I try to add the file. Can you re-download the file from MapMyRide? If that doesn't work, could you perhaps download a different file type (.GPX, .KMZ or .KML files work)? And if that doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure what to suggest other than riding the trail again and tracking it with the MTB Project mobile app.

Rex Macey · · Blue Ridge, Ga · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 18
Amber Scott wrote: Hmm, strange. I'm getting the same error when I try to add the file. Can you re-download the file from MapMyRide? If that doesn't work, could you perhaps download a different file type (.GPX, .KMZ or .KML files work)? And if that doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure what to suggest other than riding the trail again and tracking it with the MTB Project mobile app.

To be exact, I did not download it from MapMyRide.  I don't see how to do that - but if you have instructions, let me know.  Instead I went to this converter site (mikepalumbo.com/MMRConverter/) and entered my ride ID https://www.mapmyride.com/workout/3806731456 . That creates the GPX file I tried to upload.  I tried again and got the same error. I live in GA and the trail is in VA so I can't ride the trail again.   However, I have the MTB project mobile app but don't see a way to track anything.  How is that done?  I've used the app to follow trails but not to record.

Amber Scott · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 64

I'm not at all familiar with MapMyRide or any site that converts files, so I can't offer you any advice on that. My guess would be that something is getting mixed up when you're trying to convert the file so if you can figure out how to download a file directly from MapMyRide, you might have more success!

Regarding tracking in the MTB Project App, you can find all sorts of info on how to add content to the sites in our Help Center: mtbproject.com/help/15/how-…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Server error creating trail"