MTB Project Logo

Just Getting Started

Original Post
Colby Evans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 25 days ago · Points: 0

Hi,

Had an old Gary Fisher given to me that has been sitting quite a while, and not even sure what year it is. Got a buddy tuning it up for me and anxious to get out there and hit some trails. Any tips for a new guy or equipment I should always have on me or even general stuff to pack. I am in Washington state and plan on doing paved and biking trails. Thanks for any info.

Colby

Nate H · · Colorado Springs · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 51
  1. Colby Evans wrote: Hi,

Had an old Gary Fisher given to me that has been sitting quite a while, and not even sure what year it is. Got a buddy tuning it up for me and anxious to get out there and hit some trails. Any tips for a new guy or equipment I should always have on me or even general stuff to pack. I am in Washington state and plan on doing paved and biking trails. Thanks for any info.

Colby
Hey, congrats on starting mountain biking! First thing you are going to want to bring is all you need to fix flats. A hand pump, a tube that is the right size for your wheel, tire levers, and a few tube patches. The second thing is water. Hydration on the trails is very important whether you use a water bottle or a hydration pack. If you’re going for longer rides, bringing a few light snacks like bananas or clif bars can be a life saver. Next thing you should bring is a multi tool. A quality multi tool (I reccomend crankbrothers) will have nearly every tool you need for on trail repair. You should also invest in a solid pair of biking gloves. Blister prevention, bushwhacking protection, improved grip, comfort and just looking awesome make gloves a must have. To carry all of your gear, you should get a light backpack. There’s plenty of options out there and they are very useful. All of this gear will be useful whether you’re on the trail or the road.
       As for tips for new riders, first thing I’d say is that it’s not easy. When I took to the trails for the first time, I preformed miserably. I was slow, nervous, and my physical fitness was laughable. Despite this, it was fun, like really fun. I enjoyed my first outing so much that the next day I was back for more. I crashed all the time, had to stop every five minutes for a break and took just as slow going down the hill as up. Few years later and I frequently go on 20+ mile outings. I race mountain bikes and ride every other day.  It’s so worth the hard work you have to put in. Second tip is to focus ahead of the trail. Many beginners make the mistake of watching their wheel and not on the trail in front of them. Keep your eyes ahead of the trail so you aren’t suprised by any obstacles that pop up. Third tip is to focus on your body position. When the trail goes down, don’t stay seated. You need to stand upright on your bike and shift your weight around. When the trail gets steep, bring your weight back over the saddle to avoid going over the handlebars. When going uphill, also don’t be afraid to get out of the saddle. Leaning your weight forwards and pedaling hard can get you up hills that initially seem impossible. There are plenty of videos out there on YouTube that do a great job of showing what your body position should look like when going over obstacles. Good luck getting started with mountain biking! Sorry for the lengthy essay, there’s a lot to say about getting into the sport. Washington State is an awesome place to get started and there’s hundreds of trails for you to progress your skills on. One good spot I know of is Duthie Hill mountain bike park. Enjoy!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Wheels
Post a Reply to "Just Getting Started"