MTB Project Logo

Featured Ride not showing up on Web App?

Original Post
Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,089

Looking at the website, I don't see the Featured Ride "Laural Classic" (mtbproject.com/trail/419431…) on the main map on the site's front page.

However, I see it in the iOS App, on the website on my favorites list (I added to favorites from the app I think) and when I go to the ride page directly.

The ride doesn't appear to be in review. Not sure why I can't see it? Any insight? 

Zander Göpfert · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,526

Hey Ben,

Laurel Classic is listed as a race so it's hidden from the main map view. I think the reasoning was to prevent the map from getting too cluttered and to highlight trails and featured rides first, while still being able to search for a race or find a race in the Directory.

As always, open to any feedback if you think something else would be easier or clearer!

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,089

Thanks for the feedback. I think this setup is confusing. If it's hidden on the main map, I wouldn't expect it to be on the mobile map either and vice versa.

A lot of times the race routes are also primary routes that folks will use for regular rides, and I think it's somewhat valuable to be able to see them on the map, especially when there are no other rides in the area, to help folks new to an area find a good way to ride the trails.

I think that hiding by default only on the website makes discovery difficult, as there is no indication on the main map view that the race even exists. Even having it show up in the map sidebar, but hidden by default on the map view would be helpful. Though, personally, I think it would be better to have filters on the main map to show/hide the races, just like you can show/hide rides instead of having them hidden by default if clutter is a concern. If that is difficult, I definitely prefer being able to view the races on the main map by default, consistent with the mobile map.

Zander Göpfert · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,526

Thanks, Ben. That's helpful feedback. We're actually working on the map design and how we can help users filter more. I think races should be considered as a filter like you said, which would help this situation of when and where races are shown and when and where they aren't. More to come! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Featured Ride not showing up on Web App?"