MTB Project Logo

Recorded and saved GPS track in MTBProject app not transferring to MTBProject.com

Original Post
Andy Warhol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

I have a completed GPS track saved in my MTBProject app but I cannot figure out how to get it uploaded to my account in MTBProject.com so that I can export the gpx file to upload to Strava.

Zander Göpfert · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,519

Hi Andy,
It should be set up automatically. You should be able to log into the MTB Project site and refresh Your Profile to show "Private Recorded GPS Tracks" under the Out There tab, where any newly recorded GPS tracks will show up. Please let me know if you run into issues with that. 

Thanks much Zander. It worked. I think my problem was that I hadn’t waited long enough. After a few hours, it showed up.

New, related question: When I tap export GPX and then try to open the GPX file, it’s a path only, not a “workout,” as there appears to be no time information in the file. In order to eventually post to Strava (my ultimate goal), it needs to have the time information. Can you please advise?

Glad that worked!

As for the .gpx file, we don't currently support personal routes or "workouts," just single trails like you'd find on a paper map and the "Featured Rides" that link together those trails in the best or most popular way. With that in mind, I'd advise flipping your process around and using Strava to record a workout and then export a .gpx file from Strava to upload to MTB Project to add any unmapped trails from that .gpx and then possibly submit the entire route as a "Featured Ride" if you think it qualifies as the best or most popular route in the area. 

Thanks for the feedback, Zander. The problem with your suggestion is that on all-day rides, battery power is limited. Running two apps at once (Strava to record the workout and MTB Project to show the route so as not to get lost) might not work. Too bad it doesn't record the times, but thanks anyway.

Keith

Yep, that makes a lot of sense. The MTB Project app should show elapsed time and mileage for a recorded track if that's all you're looking for. But it won't show a recorded total elevation or other similar stats. And the elapsed time stat doesn't get saved to the Recorded Tracks list (just the mileage and the date it was recorded on). 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Stuff
Post a Reply to "Recorded and saved GPS track in MTBProject app…"