Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
MTB Project Logo

Camping near Taos?

Original Post
Chuck Jay · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 6 days ago · Points: 0

Hello all - I'm going to be heading to the Taos area (yes, to ride the Boundary Trails among others) and am looking for advice on specific, dispersed camping spots in the area.  From what I can see on the map, it doesn't look all that promising.

Thanks,
CJ

Sean Wiggins · · Elizabethton, TN · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 226

Hey Chuck, I just got back from Taos yesterday. There is plenty of dispersed camping in the area. If your riding South Boundary you could camp at Garcia Park which is a series of open meadows right off of FS rd 437. The SBT crosses here. There are plenty of spots along 437 you could just pull in and camp as well. Also closer to taos if you are heading up toward Taos ski valley there are plenty of spots along the road. I believe there are spots where SBT dumps out close to town as well but ive not checked them out. If you ride the Lost lake/east fork loop there is camping at east fork trail head. It is elk season right now so there will be competition with hunters for some of the best camping. SBT is awesome, I love it more every time I ride it.  This trip I rode SBT, East Fork/lost lake loop, Horsethief mesa and Rift Valley trail. The fist 2 are at elevation and the last 2 are high desert riding. I like horsethief better than Rift Valley personally. Check out Orlandos for great New Mexican food and Michaels Kitchen for breakfast. Taos is a cool town  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Camping near Taos? "
in the Other Stuff