MTB Project Logo

Trails Colored Yellow

Original Post
Michael Murphy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I'm seeing a lot of trails colored yellow, and I can't find any explanation as to what yellow represents. I'm sure it's got to be somewhere but I can't find it. Anyone know?

I'm now looking at a trail that seems to be yellow, w/blue border, with a green(?) "morse-code" looking dot pattern running along the middle. There's GOT to be a legend for all of this. All I can find is a green, blue, black color-coding for difficulty levels. The yellow? And the dots? Please point me to an explanation on this. Thanks.

I clicked on the suggested FAQ link, and found no explanation for the yellow shading of trails. Seems like an important designation, and yet I find no obvious legend or coding description. If there is one, please let me know, and you guys might want to think about making that explanation more findable.

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,085

Yellow is a "Ride", Yellow with blue border is the current "ride" selected.

Green / Blue / Black dashed and dotted lines are "Trails". The color indicates difficulty level. If it has a blue border, it's the current "trail" selected.
The longer the dash, the smoother the surface. Long Dashes are paved, medium dashes are doubletrack / gravel, short dashes are singletrack.

Thanks Ben. Still not clear on what constitutes a "ride." All listed trails are "rides" by my definition. Having a hard time distinguishing the difference between yellow "rides" and non-yellow "trails. I'm missing something. As for dash length, I'm seeing a lot of dot-dash-dot-dash-dot-dash-dot. There should really be a a legend to explain this. Can you point me to where you were able to learn this info.? Thanks!

Paul LeCheminant · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

I think what they call a "ride" is what I would call a route.  "My favorite Saturday morning 'ride' is to start on Trail A for 2 miles and turn right at the junction with Trail B and go for 3 miles to Trail C, etc." They then name it "My Saturday Ride" even though it includes several segments of different trails.  Not totally sure, but that's what I think.

TerraÈpica · · Benimantell, Diània, ES · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 544

Yes!

Here in Europe we call:

- Route (ride)
- Segment/singletrack (trail)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Trails Colored Yellow"