Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
MTB Project Logo

Website - filtering by trail difficulty could be improved by making discreet selectors

Original Post
Barto Saurus · · Melbourne, AU · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 6

Hey! Have loved using MTB Project while travelling around the USA. I have an issue with the way the filtering by difficulty works, particularly when I want to find some easier trails for my wife to ride with me. Currently, if I want to find green trails, I hit the green circle and get only green trails. So far so good. If I want to get the next level of green/blue, hitting green circle AND blue square, the trails returned are: green, green/blue, blue, blue/black. This seems counter intuitive for humans (but I can understand how it works programatically).

If there is only a finite number of possible trail difficulty ratings (5): green, green/blue, blue, blue/black, black, can we not add two more buttons to have discreet buttons for all of these? The resulty would be easier to understand, easy to predict results, and get more accurate results. If I wanted to see only green, I'd select the green circle. If I wantyed to see green and green/blue, I'd turn both these buttons to  "on". I would get zero blue or blue/black results. If I wanted to see just green and just black (for some reason), I would select the green circle and the black diamond. Basically what ever difficulty rating is switched "on" or selected, is what the results show.

Please consider this change

Zander Göpfert · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,519

Hi Barto,
Thanks for this suggestion. I couldn't agree more about the confusion that these difficulty selection results might create. I'll bring this up with our engineer team and see about the possibility of adding two new buttons for the green/blue and blue/black difficulties. 

Barto Saurus · · Melbourne, AU · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 6
Zander Göpfert wrote: I'll bring this up with our engineer team and see about the possibility of adding two new buttons for the green/blue and blue/black difficulties. 
In this case (MTB trails), it should work rather elegantly given that blue/green has it's own icon [O] blue square with green circle and blue/black has [<>] blue square with black diamond :)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Website - filtering by trail difficulty could b…"