MTB Project Logo

Anyone have any recs for entry level hardtail bikes?

Original Post
Colin Szehner · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

Getting back into mountain biking after long time away. Planning to beef up front suspension and considering 29" tires - would love some recommendations from y'all

Nate H · · Colorado Springs · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 35

I own an entry level hardtail. It’s a trek Marlin 4. I don’t recommend it. With a terrible suspension fork and a drivetrain that sounds like loose change.l, it’s not exactly a sturdy bike. But at 400 dollars, what could I expect? You see, at the time of my purchase I hadn’t even planned on mountain biking. I just wanted to do some basic curb hopping and other things. Then I got into mountain biking. I loved it from the moment my tires hit the trail. Slowly as I got more involved with mountain biking, the bike began breaking. So I had to upgrade parts but ended with a almost 1000 dollar bike that preformed like a 600 dollar bike. If I could go back, I would have spent the money to buy a better bike that would have allowed the progression that I had. So, what does this long story have to do with anything? It means just don’t cheap out, you will regret it. I’m not saying spend 2000 dollars on a trail bike when you are literally just starting, I’m saying to buy a good enough bike for what you want to do. Now, the bike I would most recommend for a beginner on a budget is the Trek Marlin 7. It’s my bike but with a spec that should survive the abuse from a learning beginner. But if you find that you are just riding at a level that your bike can’t handle, just don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Arif Masud · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 7 days ago · Points: 0

Great you are back. If you want to start over again i think you should be careful to choose a bike, So that you don't go back again. If your budget is under 500 dollars, you can check from the 5 best mountain bike under 500

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bike & Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Anyone have any recs for entry level hardtail b…"