MTB Project Logo

Trail Conditions on Trail Widget

Original Post
Nicholas Barnes · · Akron · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 55

I would like the option to have the trail conditions shown on the Trail Widget.  Perhaps overlaid over the picture.  Or possibly as a replacement of the picture.  It should have the current conditions, and it should show the age of the last update.   (I don't think it should be the default to have the conditions, but it should be an option)

Zander Göpfert · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,520

Hi Nicholas,

Currently, we have the Conditions Widget that shows a trail list with the conditions and when they were updated, but your feedback is helpful regarding the Trail Widget. We're currently working on making condition reporting easier and more visible, so this is a timely suggestion. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts or questions I can help with.

Best,
Zander

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,085

+1 on adding conditions to the trail widget. Most importantly, is to add an indication on how old the trail conditions report is, as it's difficult to tell the difference without hovering over each rating as to which reports are a day old or 2 months old.

It would be really helpful for trail stewards if there were a way to set conditions for a whole 'Area' at a time, not just pick a trail and rate individual trails (the 'rate additional trails' add on feature is nice, but I don't think wide ranging enough to get all the trails in an area accurately). So they could mark all trails in a specific park as bad condition after a heavy rain or bad freeze-thaw cycle and then update them en masse when the conditions are good. This was one of the biggest complaints I received from an administrative type view from my local trail group.

Nicholas Barnes · · Akron · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 55

Unfortunately our area is complicated by having trail operators using both Facebook and Twitter as their official outlets for reporting trail conditions.  So I need a little more fidelity on what I show.  I can't just show our region.    And the conditions widget could work, if I can choose/limit what I wanted to be on the list.  (Either, the map selector generates a list, then I can pick from the list, or the conditions report just has a box where i past the URL for the things that I choose to display.      (FYI: This is the current page I have in place for reference. https://camba.us/wp/ride/conditions )

Chris Ho · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 97

I built a WordPress plugin that might do what you need. You can display trails and their current status.  https://wordpress.org/plugins/trail-status/ 
In the future I may add the ability to get trail conditions from MTB Project and Trailforks.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions
Post a Reply to "Trail Conditions on Trail Widget"