MTB Project Logo

Are there plans to upgrade the app so a ride can be tracked on an Android phone?

Original Post
Steven Wallis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Are there plans to upgrade the app so a ride can be tracked on an Android phone?

Zander Göpfert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,314

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the post as well as your email. We are currently hiring a mobile engineer and there are no plans at this moment to add the tracking functionality to the app for Android devices. Please let me know if I can suggest a couple apps that have that functionality or if I can answer any other questions

Best,
Zander

I really like your app and the way it works offline.
I paid for all trails but in my opinion it does not work nearly as well offline and I don't like their Maps as well as yours even though they give a bunch of choices.

I also use trailforks but it does not work offline.

Wondering why you are not planning to add the tracking functionality for the Android phones.  Seems like there are an awful lot of Android phone users out there.

What other apps would you suggest for Android

Thanks,

tried to answer the other email you sent me.
In addition to what I wrote in the Forum earlier I would like to add

Uploading to Strava or anywhere else is not the issue.

I use this program during the winter when I am cross country skiing as well as for summer biking.
 I also use it for hiking and a lot of times with skiing and hiking I am not necessarily on a trail and it would be good to be able to see the route I followed to get to the blue dot where I am standing

Zander Göpfert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,314

Hi Steven,

If I'm understanding correctly, you would use the tracking feature to record your activity and see what route you've gone when there aren't necessarily other trails in the area on the map. From there, you can see your blue dot GPS location and route-find or simply orient yourself.

First, your blue dot GPS location will always appear on the map as long as you allow the app to use your location when using the app. From there, an app like Strava should be able to record your track but might not show the same details on their base maps. So you'd be able to see your route and know your current GPS location, but might not be able to route-find as well.

As far as I know, adding the record a track function was really a test run for us. Strava does that so well, that we didn't see the point in trying to expend time and resources on competing with what they do. That said, knowing your feedback and similar feedback from other Android users helps us gauge whether adding the functionality should be a priority or not. I hope that gives a bit more context and helps you when you're outside!  

Best,
Zander

The beauty of your app is twofold

First, The way your app shows up on my screen makes it clearer and easier  to identify my surroundings even though others use the same blue dot system on a topo map

Second, I can use it offline which is  important in the mountains where sometimes there is no tower signal.    That is not true for Strava and most of the other apps. Once a file is uploaded to Strava the map is excellent, but by that time I am home and I know where I am.

And, as I said in an earlier post, I tried AllTrails which allowed for offline use but does not seem to be as good as yours even though they have 6 different map overlays to choose from.

I hope you will reconsider adding tracking for Android users.  According to statistics I looked up yesterday,  85% of all cell phones  in the world are Android although in the US there may be more iphones than Android.

Thanks,
Steve

Mark Emagin · · Hidden Valley Lake · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I agree with above, please add tracking for Android users. It seems odd you would offer this feature for iOS but not Android?
That would mean that you want people to be able to do this, why just on one OS and not the other?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Are there plans to upgrade the app so a ride ca…"
in the MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions