MTB Project Logo

Probably a Stupid Question

Original Post
Josh RidesBikes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

Hello! I hope I'm posting in the correct place, i recently purchased this bike offline and since its arrived I've been worried about its size possibly being to small and causing issues in the long run? Im not bike savvy so i have no clue what it should feel/look like 

Nate H · · Colorado Springs · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 35

I’m no bike mechanic but that bike appears to be a little too small. It isn’t small enough that you should be concerned in my opinion. It will probably be a little harder climbing and descending on your new MTB.

Erik Johnson · · Hayden, ID · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I'm no bike mechanic either, but I do have experience on a bike that's too small -- I'm 6'0" and I rode my 5'5" wife's bike while a house guest borrowed mine. Here's some symptoms:

•Do you feel like your weight's way too far back? Even though wife and I have the same bike (FS Giant Trance 29er) I felt like I had to extend the seat post so much that my weight was solidly over the back tire, too far from the rear shock.

•Are you bottoming out the shocks? You can adjust shock pressure and rebound, of course.

•Seat height -- your leg should be straight at the bottom of your pedal stroke, but your knee shouldn't lock out. You want that mechanical advantage. If you can't get the seat height up there you'll be giving up efficiency on the trail.

•Handlebars -- Do you feel like you have to have the seat so high that you're stretching for the handlebars? Or, the opposite, are you crowded over the bars?

End of the day, get an expert. Most local bike shops are full of very helpful folks who will do an informal bike sizing for you. LBS wants to help you because they'd really like to be the place where you come for parts and service. Anyway, have them give it a look.

Hope this helps!

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Go to a bike shop and have them fit you for a bike.  Next, buy from the bike shop to support their service.  In hiking, boots, clothing, and packs are really important to try on.  The internet is killing our important shops.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Probably a Stupid Question"
in the Bike & Gear Discussion