MTB Project Logo

Parking

Original Post
Rich K. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

New to the MTB Project site and just am getting back to mountain biking again.  Maybe this has been addressed already (can not find it by doing a search), but it is a pretty basic question. One of the bits of information I would like to see is where to off load a bike when you have to drive to a site.  Ideally, a safe place to off load a bike when you have to park on a street to access the start of a trail. Some places have free public parking sites, which is great and certainly better than having to pay to enter a State Park.

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,071

Yeah, parking areas are a thing on MTB Project. You can add them to the map yourself! Though, it's a bit confusing for new users.

Just click the icon for your profile (top right of most pages on MTB Project, next to the messages icon) select "Share Your Trails". Then it will ask if you want to add trails or photos... Look below the "Create Rides or Trails" button and find the link to "Add Symbols to Help Guide the Way" and then you can add a parking zone, restroom, water source, etc...

It's actually pretty easy once you figure out how to do it for the first time.  

However, admins do prefer that you only add only "official" parking areas and such, I would avoid trying to add parking areas that subvert entry into state parks unless these are really publically accessible, allowed to be used for trail access, won't cause conflicts with adjacent landowners, and are regularly used by riders.

Rich K. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks for the reply.  As I find acceptable and legal parking spots I will follow the suggestion.  Hopefully, this is something others will be open to.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Parking"
in the MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions