MTB Project Logo

Lots of trails disappearing from site?

Original Post
Chad Davis · · Brevard, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

In researching trails in a few different areas that I've had previously saved, I've noticed that many are gone - at least 8-10 in 3 different riding areas in two states. Anyone know what's going on?  I am positive the trails still exist and are legal to mountain bike.  

John Styrnol · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 95

That's not good. I'm not seeing some new one's that were built recently.

Zander Göpfert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,475

Hey Chad and John,

Would you mind sending me some more info on the specific trails or the area(s) that they're in? I'd be happy to dig into it and see if I can find out what's going on. Sometimes land managers ask us to take down trails, but it sounds like these are all legal to ride, so that might not be what's going on. Feel free to reply here or shoot me an email (zander@mtbproject.com).

Thanks!

Chad Davis · · Brevard, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

A few I remember are Dragon's Back in Cawtaba, VA ( and several trails that are used to access this ridge) and Day Creek trail in Montvale, VA.  Day Creek is now part of an epic loop but can't be seen separately as it had in the past.   These are a few of the examples that I had linked in my website till I received notices of broken links when something changed within MTB Project.

Zander Göpfert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,475

Does the Day Creek Trail use the Day Creek trailhead shown on this map? Sounds like it was/is part of the Blue Ridge Parkway Epic loop? Next, is Dragon's Back the same as the North Mountain Trail? It's possible that this trail was in progress and the original contributor didn't end up finishing the trail so it was put up for adoption. Additionally, if a trail isn't fully approved for the site and app, whoever uploaded it can take it down. Seems like a longshot unless they were all uploaded by the same person and they decided to take them down.  

Preston Jordan · · Albany, CA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 368

Hi all-

The following is enough related to this topic that I thought it better to post here than start a new one.

Yesterday I noticed a lot of the trails I have submitted show up on the web interface but not the mobile interface. I received notices regarding the acceptance of each, and their appearance on the web interface tends to confirm this. So why are they not showing on the mobile interface? Kind of disturbing as that is the interface we use when actually riding.

A sampling of the trails I submitted that are showing on the web but not mobile, working backwards from most recent (all in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area):

- Wetes in Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park
- Briones to Mt. Diablo Regional Trail - Acalanes segment
- Lafayette Ridge in Briones Regional Park
- Live Oak Trail in El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area
- Douglas Trail in El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area
- Navellier Trail in El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area
- Ridge Trail in El Cerrito Hillside Natural Area

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,099

If the trails have been accepted, then it generally can take up to a week or two for the newly approved trails to be rolled up into a map update for the mobile app. Try downloading the state data again (you can delete and re-download to ensure you pulled the most up to date info available on the app).

Preston Jordan · · Albany, CA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 368

Thank you Ben. Some of the trails that were not appearing on mobile were submitted over a month ago. I accessed the state data list and the state I previously downloaded appeared to be stuck on syncing. So I followed your suggestion and that resolved the issue. Problematic to have to intervene manually like this as it means perhaps most users are not seeing the latest because they are not aware this problem can occur.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Lots of trails disappearing from site?"
in the MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions