coming up behind old hikers

Original Post
md3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 0

A couple of times I have had old people freak out and jump off the trail when they realize I am behind them.  I always slow down, of course, and stay about six feet behind until there is space to pass, so why do they jump off the trail?  Do they not understand that a mountain bike's combination of low momentum, even at high speeds, and good brakes means that there is no chance a biker will accidentally rear end them? 

Marcel Slootheer · · Salida, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 815

Bikes can be very quiet and they may not hear you when they're in their own little world.

1. Get a bike bell and use it way ahead of time, not 6ft away from them.

2. Announce yourselves in a friendly way, just say good morning/afternoon/evening, also way ahead of time.

Even if you follow both those steps, you may still find that hikers freak out and jump out of the way. It seems like a natural reaction for many of them,  lol.

Just be really nice and wish them a nice day.

Rob PLX · · Portage Lakes, OH · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 60

x2 on the bell

Michael Dermott · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 10 days ago · Points: 32

It happened to me the other day, think i'll get one that rings constantly in hopes to notify any bears too

Rob PLX · · Portage Lakes, OH · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 60

Funny you should mention that Michael.  I just purchased a hanging bell that I'll attach to my Camelback for that very reason.  Also carry bear spray just in case

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 6,307

I agree on the bell. I just purchased a Timber! Bell, which is a fantastic passive bell. I use it on any trail where I might expect either two-way traffic or other trail users in general. Thus far, hikers seem to appreciate the bell, and I think that can be attributed to exactly what Marcel said above: it is "used" well ahead of me being on top of them.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply