mapbox?

Original Post
Marcel Slootheer · · Salida, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 791

What's the deal with the main page still using google earth (great), while individual trail maps now appear to switch to a mapping system called mapbox which shows no details (bad)?

Nick Wilder · · The Bubble · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 9,374

We are in the process of moving to Mapbox.  The new maps, by default, show a topo map as the base instead of satellite images, although you can switch that.  We're still working out lots of details, but if you don't like Mapbox as much, please let us know why.  For example, does "no details" refer to the base layer, or something else?  Thanks for writing.

I can see how the topo map provides added value for sure. I didn't zoom in enough to see it.

Lack of detail; mapbox doesn't show any important landmarks like mountains and hills, their names are not shown. Big negative for me.

Google maps more clearly distinguishes different trails and level of difficulty (by color), in mapbox it kind of blends together.

Full screen mode doesn't work in my Safari browser, I get the same small map and the rest of the screen is white out (must be an issue on my end).

Full screen mode does work in Firefox, but in general mtbproject.com doesn't work smoothly in Firefox for me at all (must be an issue on my end).

Cannot toggle between topo and satellite mode once in Full screen.

Anyway, not impressed with the change, then again I always resist change lol.

Thanks.  We will take a look at these things, and the Safari full screen bug is on our end - I'll look at fixing that soon.

Emily Keefer-Cowles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I think Mapbox will be a much nicer looking map when it's all complete and the load will lose the funky lag that you see with google maps.  I'm personally glad to see you are moving to it. OpenStreetMap probably has all the details MTB Project needs to pull into the maps.

I've been checking out the Mapbox details & features and they do look very promising. Looking forward to full implementation now.

Caleb Joyce · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 148

Marcel, comparing how Google and MapBox display mountain peaks, I'll be tweaking the zoom level in which MapBox displays this info. I think it's a little tight right now and we can expose it a few zoom levels out. Stay tuned. 

Jeff Welch · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 14

The Mapbox topo is terrible. The contrast and shading is horrendous, almost impossible to make out topo lines and relief on any of my monitors. The Google terrain view was MUCH better (this is what I used most of the time).

I also really liked the ability to only show "Rides" or "Trails." In popular areas with many different featured rides, it really helped declutter things.

Seriously, this is a major decrease in usability, please change it back.

For evidence, here is a view of roughly the same area (Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman area near Crested Butte) on Mapbox, Google Terrain, and CalTopo USFS map w/ shaded relief. You tell me which one is easiest to see the overall contours of the land.

Mapbox:

Google Terrain:

Caltopo:

I agree, the current settings leave much to be desired. I assume (hope) they will tweak & improve things asap.

keith wakefield · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0
Jeff Welch wrote:

The Mapbox topo is terrible. The contrast and shading is horrendous, almost impossible to make out topo lines and relief on any of my monitors. The Google terrain view was MUCH better (this is what I used most of the time).

I also really liked the ability to only show "Rides" or "Trails." In popular areas with many different featured rides, it really helped declutter things.

Seriously, this is a major decrease in usability, please change it back.

Yep, this nails it pretty well.  I am another Safari user for whom the full screen feature doesn't work.

Thanks for working on it, though!

Andrew Shearin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Agree with Keith Wakefield.. I was just like "wtf" when I got to the homepage

Toby Weiner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

My biggest issue is with the inability to isolate "trails" or "rides" as noted by Keith.  if you try to use the map around densely trailed areas (such as Breckenridge, CO) it is unusable. with every trail and ride popping up it is very cluttered.  really preferred the older version.  

We made a few changes today:

• You can turn rides and trails on and off, like before.
  • There are now 4 base layer options.
  • The Safari fullscreen bug should be fixed.

Thanks for your suggestions.  We can't fix them all (in particular, Google basemaps are not an option with the map library we're using), but we think this is getting a lot better.

Toby Weiner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

Already much better!

Agreed, getting there.

Thanks that is a big improvement for sure, especially the NeoTreks base map. I still don't think that base map is as good as Google or CalTopo (I understand you can't use those) but it's at least usable.

Is there a way to set NeoTreks as the default so I don't have to change it every time?

Something else I forgot about, being able to turn photos on or off was also nice so that you didn't have to navigate around a million pics of BLAS when just trying to click on a trail.

Jeff Welch wrote:

Is there a way to set NeoTreks as the default so I don't have to change it every time?

Something else I forgot about, being able to turn photos on or off was also nice so that you didn't have to navigate around a million pics of BLAS when just trying to click on a trail.

It should remember your choice.  There is currently a bug related to editing something (which resets your choice).  But if you're not editing anything, it should show neotreks with every load.

We're on the fence about toggling the photos.  We're experimenting with placement and behavior to try to make them less in the way.

Nick Wilder wrote:

It should remember your choice.  There is currently a bug related to editing something (which resets your choice).  But if you're not editing anything, it should show neotreks with every load.

We're on the fence about toggling the photos.  We're experimenting with placement and behavior to try to make them less in the way.

Thanks, it wasn't remembering it when I posted, but it is now. Appreciate you guys being so responsive to this.

Re: toggling photos - I don't see a downside to giving people the option?

FYI I've just noticed that a hand full of pictures that I added recently don't show up on the maps. These were added after the change to map box.

Marcel Slootheer wrote:

FYI I've just noticed that a hand full of pictures that I added recently don't show up on the maps. These were added after the change to map box.

We filter photos that are shown on the map - we sort them by rating and then only show one for a given radius.  This has always been the case, but we're filtering them more aggressively now, so it's more apparent.  Also, the maps update about once/day, so even the highest-rated photos won't show up for a while. 

On trail pages, all photos are shown.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply