MTB Project Logo

If your... "getting-into-MTB" friend asks you "so what should I get as my first Mountain Bike?" ....

Original Post
luis aguilar · · Atlanta · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

My only recommendation so far has been: better value to buy a better second hand bike even if 3 or 4 years old rather than buying a much worse bike from 2017 .... 

> I am curious; for a beginner like my friend, would you agree with my overall recommendation? 

Then re money, I am telling him that things would only start making some sense starting from 500 USD. 

So, (if you agree to the above), if you had to buy the best possible mountain bike for someone who is thinking about getting into it, do some tracks (Georgia, Alabama maybe...)

and you had a theoretical budget between 400 and 800 ..... what would you recommend? 

thank you for any hints and opinions!!

Kyle Little · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

New to this as well but in my lesson of riding for a few months now it doesn't matter what you pay honestly you have to know what your buying all bikes look good but make sure you look at everything if buying used.

Nolan DaRosa · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 13 days ago · Points: 0

I just purchased a new bike and had the same issue deciding what bike I should buy.  I decided to use those apps such as "Letgo" and purchased a used 600$ Specialized Rockhopper Sport for only 325$.  It was used a few times and was in pristine conditions.  I would recommend buying a used bike that has minimal wear.  It will cost almost as much as a cheaper mountain bike, but with the value of a high end one.

-Nolan

John Styrnol · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I think it kinda depends on what trails you are using the bike on. Rocky trails I would recommend an entry level FSR, for faster track/smooth, probably a Rockhopper or something equivilant. Then again, I just started riding, but I really like my Specialized Camber FSR. Good luck with whatever you decide. Enjoy!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply