MTB Project Logo

Getting Started

Original Post
Steven Morris · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I have recently downloaded the app, but can't find any sort of directions or guidance for basic use.  Things like, can I track my particular ride and if so how do i do that?  Can the app keep the phone screen turned on while its on my handlebars? etc.

Is there a manual or intro tutorial available? 

Willie Jacobsz · · North Grafton, MA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Has anybody provided an answer to this question? It seems to have been unanswered since May 25. I would also like it answered. How does one use the map on rides etc

Zander Göpfert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,475

Hi Steven and Willie,

Thanks for the questions. We're currently revamping our FAQ (https://www.mtbproject.com/faq) to reflect some changes and new features. Stay tuned for that and, in the meantime, feel free to reach out to our trail content team with any questions - content@mtbproject.com. 

Steven: You can track your ride using the iOS version of the app. To do that, open the app and make sure you're logged in. Next, click the three horizontal line icon in the top left corner, which will expand the sidebar. Look for "GPS Tracks / Record" under your profile name. On the "GPS Tracks" page, look for the "Record a track" link in the bottom left corner. Start recording by clicking the red circle button, which you can stop at any point to pause, and click again to continue recording. 

Once you're done, hit stop and the floppy disk icon on the left which will save the route to your profile, which you can access on the site to upload it/submit for admin review.

Willie: You can follow your GPS position on any mapped trail or ride, which allows you to navigate a system or area. If you prefer using a Garmin or other GPS device, you can download a GPX file for any trail or ride from the site on a computer. 

Willie Jacobsz · · North Grafton, MA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Excellent thank you Zander. A "How to get started" button on the home page with links to the relevant pages would be great.

Robert Downs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

This app is pretty bad on the phone. No instructions. No drop down menus or "GPS Tracks..." to select. Been hacking at this thing for hours over two days. Done!

Zander Göpfert · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 2,475

Hey Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. If there are any specific questions I can help answer, feel free to reach out. The three-line icon in the upper left corner of the map after you open the app will expand the sidebar with more options, or use the "Trail List" button at the bottom of the map screen to see recommended featured rides and top-rated nearby trails. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Getting Started"
in the MTB Project Feedback & Suggestions