Give to your favorite local project in IMBA’s Dig In campaign and REI will match all donations up to $25,000!
MTB Project Logo

Downloading a MTB Project trail into a Garnin Edge 1000

Original Post
fred klauber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

I think there is a way to download trails from MTB Project into a Garmin Edge 1000.  If so, could someone provide directions about how to do that?

Not sure this is the correct forum for this question.  If not, please let me know where to post my question.

Cheers - Fred K.

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,047

I don't think you can really load the trail data on to your garmin.

However, I've had good luck using ride files from MTB project to help me navigate. If you find a ride you like on the site, you can download the gpx from the ride detail page and load that on to your garmin. It won't show all the trails, but it will at least show your expected path.

Some basic instructions on loading a gpx file to your garmin (works for most newer garmin units I belive):
http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/transfer-gpx-file-to-garmin/

You may be able to use garmin connect to transfer the files to your garmin 1000, but I'm not as familiar with that process.

djn Nechrony · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 15
fred klauber wrote:

I think there is a way to download trails from MTB Project into a Garmin Edge 1000.  If so, could someone provide directions about how to do that?

Not sure this is the correct forum for this question.  If not, please let me know where to post my question.

Cheers - Fred K.

Yes! Check out dynamicWatch. They make a garmin IQ app that allows you to transfer MTB project trails, GPX files, Trailforks, Strava, etc. wirelessly from smart phone onto your edge 1000 (no computer needed). I just found out about this the other day and it's been working pretty well so far. I've been looking for something like this for awhile and am psyched to have found it.

Ben Voytko · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 2,047

Nice catch djn Nechrony.

Does this allow you to load multiple trails or just a single trail or ride?

djn Nechrony · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 15
Ben Voytko wrote:

Nice catch djn Nechrony.

Does this allow you to load multiple trails or just a single trail or ride?

Not totally sure yet but I think you're loading individual gpx tracks. If there is a loop ride consisting of several trail segments but it's all been saved as one gpx file then you'll get the whole loop. I've had some luck loading mtb project trails but no luck with others. I have had some success saving GPX files into the Dropbox app on my iphone then uploading from there into the dynamicWatch website (which you bring up in the web browser on your phone). Still playing around with it. It is way better than nothing though and I see it being really helpful for road trips when I don't take my laptop.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply