It's a dam shame.

Original Post
Markk Knowles · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 2,666

I had high expectations for MTB Project. It was destined to be the ultimate MTB trail resource. But they aligned with IMBA - mistake. Then sold out to REI - mistake. Actually if you want to make a profit and do the right thing, lol, then it's perfect. But as a trail resource it now sucks.

Tom Robson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 6,316

Hey Markk,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As one of the top contributors on MTB Project, I'm very interested to hear some specific examples of how/where we've fallen short.

To preface this discussion, I must note that without REI entering the picture, the site would be very, very different and perhaps not in the ways you might think. Adventure Projects (MTB Project's parent) was never looking for an acquisition. Our sites were growing healthily, but were plastered with ads (you probably recall this). These ads were our life blood but they cheapened the site, in my opinion.

Before REI came along, we were courted by a few social-type orgs. Their plan was to increase the number of ad impressions we were getting, truly turning the sites into money-making entities. As you'll note with our current site, ads aren't a thing. Not only does REI not care about ad revenue, they've allowed us to focus our products on our users, not the folks buying ad space from us.

In any case, I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Best,

Tom

David Kutassy · · Charlottesville, VA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 311

I definitely still find the app and website to be the ultimate trail source. It's helped me find trails in national forests where only designated trails are for mountain biking. It's nice knowing I'm not on a hiking only trail. I've also found trails in my local area that I had no idea existed. I can't imagine how much more useful it will be when I take a trip to another state.

The change to downloading your state has really improved the usability of the app. There were some new rides where I had no internet but came across intersections with no clear way of knowing which way to go. The map and my GPS location kept me on route.

Jeff Watson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 18

Im with David. I recently went on a week long road trip to areas Ive never been and it would've been impossible to do some of the rides without MTB Project unless I had a local guide. Great resource.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply