2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC convert to a 27.5+

Original Post
Ryan Miller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Don't know if this is the right area to post this but looking to do a conversion On my tallboy to the 27.5 plus.  Has anybody done one lately I can only find forms from around 2013 2014 I talk to a couple shops in Arizona and they're not real big on trying it.   Just looking for some help any info would be appreciated.  Don't know if it's worth it.

Mickey Fimbres · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 14

I've been doing a lot of research on tires recently because a friend has a 2009 stumpy and we're looking at getting him some wider tires. To the question of whether it's worth it or not. By the time you buy the wheels, tape, tires, and sealant you're at least $600 if not closer to $800. Is there enough clearance between your front tire, and the fork brace? If not you're looking at replacing the front fork. Now is it worth it?  But the deal breaker will be is if there is enough room in the rear triangle to accomodate the additonal height and width. If not you're pretty much done. I have read of some people running a 27.5 front and 26 rear. The newest bikes have frame geometry updated to take advantage of the 27.5" inch wheels. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply