Work with us in Boulder, Colorado!
TRAIL CONTENT INTERN
Calling all adventure mapping nerds, virtual trail stewards, and editors extraordinaire! This is an opportunity to work for an awesome, mission-based company that is as passionate about the outdoors as we are about building the best hiking, mountain biking, trail running, backcountry skiing, and rock climbing sites and apps in the world. In this role, you will work side-by-side with REI’s Adventure Projects Trail Content Team, helping to support our contributors and build out our maps. As a part of our virtual trail building team, you should be a self-motivated learner, a detail-oriented perfectionist, and a bit of an adventure nerd yourself.
Some of the day-to-day tasks you will tackle include:
Project Oriented Tasks:
- Digitize, curate, and copyedit guidebook author content
- Leverage existing MTB Project content for use on Hiking Project
- Handle user-generated race updates
- Perform outreach related to the proprietary Adventure Projects widget
- Generate local club and land manager landing pages on AP sites
- Field user requests to “own” the above pages
- Basic GIS-related tasks
- Rate and approve user-generated Symbols/Photos/Videos
- Implement user-generated area page suggestions
- Improve existing line data accuracy through user feedback
- Digitize land management boundaries using proprietary software
- Fulfill sticker requests
- Perform first line defense for spam profiles
- Other general Trail Content related support tasks
Qualified candidates will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and an unsurpassed attention to detail. They must be self-motivated, organized, and excited about accomplishing routine tasks with accuracy and consistency. Additionally, they should possess a love for the outdoors and an interest in outdoor recreation.
Assist in the creation, production, and maintenance of editorial content on REI’s Adventure Projects websites. You’ll work in our Boulder, Colorado office with a group of editors who cut their teeth at media outlets like Backpacker, Climbing, Outside, Men’s Health, and Runner’s World as well as writers and reporters who range from professional adventure athletes to award-winning authors.
An ideal candidate is passionate about the outdoors and knows our sites well. Majoring in the field of journalism is a plus, but is not required.
- Generate ideas and write original articles
- Produce stories on our various journals
- Promote content through social media
- A genuine passion for and experience with the activities we cover. None of us are elite athletes, not even close, but we love riding, climbing, trail running, hiking, and deep pow–and creating culture around these passions.
- Strong writing/editing skills and an adaptable voice
- Previous experience with Wordpress
- Basic Photoshop skills (resizing, cropping, adding text)
- Knowledge of AP style
- Experience with our sites and apps
- Basic HTML a plus
- Excellent time management skills, including high-level multitasking
- An unflappable, positive attitude
Submit resume, writing samples, and relevant URLs to: email@example.com