HomeSign in with Facebook
or Login with Email

BEST OFPHOTOSiPHONE / ANDROIDFORUMDEALSsearch

There's a New and Improved MTB Project Mobile App!

Posted by Michael Ahnemann 
Michael Ahnemann Forum Profile | MTB Project Profile
There's a New and Improved MTB Project Mobile App!
April 02, 2014 04:25PM
I’m excited to say that we’ve got a new version of the mobile app for iOS and Android! Although the basic look and feel are the same, there are some significant changes that should greatly improve usability and general stability.

Here are some of the key features:

Download content for an entire area: When you start the app for the first time, you’ll go straight to a screen where you can download content for an entire area (currently states in the US), ordered with the nearest areas at the top of the list.

This is a big change in our general strategy for getting content into the app. Before, the phone would pull trails from the server as-needed, based on where you scrolled the map, or what you chose from search results. You could download specific rides or trails for use offline, but only one at a time. Storing more data locally means the map pans and zooms much more smoothly, and you always have all the data around the area or ride you’re looking at. You have to have a wifi or cell connection to initially download an area and use the app, but after that, you’re off to the races. And don’t worry – the data for a state only takes a few megabytes of storage, and you can manage storage easily from the “Saved Areas” button.

Remember where I left off: If you close the app and return to it later, it will return to the same screen or map view where you left it.

This solves what I think is the most important use case for the app. You’re out riding, and you periodically pull out your phone to check in with the map or text description to make sure you didn’t miss a turn. Before, you had to start back at the beginning, get to the map, zoom way in, etc. Now, you just open the app, and you’re there.

Near me goes straight to the map: When you click the “Near me” button on the home page, you’ll go straight to the map, zoomed in to show your location and the trails nearest you.

Similar to remembering where I left off, this allows me to get right into one of the most common use cases: I open the app because I’m riding now, or I’m about to ride, and I need to get right to the trails near me.

Hopefully these new features, and some of the other behind the scenes optimizations we’ve done will make the app more stable and easier to use. We’re always open to more suggestions. Send feedback to admin@mtbproject.com anytime, and we’ll add it to the list for the next version!

Get the free app here!
Re: There's a New and Improved MTB Project Mobile App!
April 03, 2014 08:09PM
Great improvements to the app- for future versions the ability to see ride reports/condition updates would be stellar. Keep up the good work!
April 15, 2014 03:03PM
Are there instructions for uploading rides. Particularly from All Trails or other GPS Trackers?
April 15, 2014 06:22PM
William Fralin
Are there instructions for uploading rides. Particularly from All Trails or other GPS Trackers?

For sure! There's a share button on the home page, below the map. Check out www.mtbproject.com/FAQ for all you need to know.
Christopher Woodruff Forum Profile | MTB Project Profile
April 16, 2014 05:24AM
Perhaps an in app way to upload pictures to a ride or trail might be nice.

I've also noticed some bugs in the map view. If I scroll the map around a bit, it will freeze. I can get it to "unfreeze" if I go to the settings (gear icon) page and then close the settings.
April 16, 2014 11:55AM
Christopher Woodruff
Perhaps an in app way to upload pictures to a ride or trail might be nice.

I've also noticed some bugs in the map view. If I scroll the map around a bit, it will freeze. I can get it to "unfreeze" if I go to the settings (gear icon) page and then close the settings.

Good feedback - thanks.

For photos, we decided not to make that connector to the app yet, because we don't want to encourage a ton of iPhone photos that might not be very good. Maybe a future release...

As for the freezing issue - I've had that happen to me once or twice as well, but I can't seem to reliably reproduce it, so it's very hard to track down the root cause. We'll keep working on it, and hopefully we can clear that up in the next release!
May 21, 2014 01:44PM
Please give us a Windows Phone 8.1 app. I know the market is still small, but I would really love it. Even just a non-native port for now would be great.
May 21, 2014 04:24PM
Kaylin Bradley
Please give us a Windows Phone 8.1 app. I know the market is still small, but I would really love it. Even just a non-native port for now would be great.

I've got a windows phone as well. The mobile site works pretty well for now, but a native/non-native app would be sweet!
May 22, 2014 12:47AM
Heck, I'd be willing to do it for them...
May 26, 2014 10:58AM
Used the app for the first time at Coldwater Mt., Excellent job guys!!
Thanks & keep up the good work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
© 2014 Adventure Projects, LLC Terms | Privacy | About Us